Slow (read) HDD : can get replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by urmajest, Feb 8, 2009.

1. urmajest macrumors newbie

Hello.

I did Xbench on my unibody 2.0Ghz MB and put side-by-side comparison with another's guy's benchmark. Most scored similar. However, HDD benchmark is drastically different especially 'read' benchmarks. Mine is too slow.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=342894&doc2=312978

Can I get my HDD replaced by this? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ploki macrumors 68000

yes you can, by your money. :)
    i doubt they will replace if there is no actual defect?

3. techguy1 macrumors regular

Doesn't look too good compared to mine with the same Mac.
    Will be interested to know if they replace.

My test

4. urmajest thread starter macrumors newbie

I hit the genius bar today. The guy seems to have no idea what to do except sending it to some repair center. We'll see how it turns out.

5. urmajest thread starter macrumors newbie

I received my macbook today. HDD is replaced.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

7. om3ga785 macrumors member

early apology if i treadjacked. :p

seems odd a few people are some-what having issues with macbook alum. hard drives. (Toshiba)

I've seen from experiance that Toshiba, Fujitsu, Hitachi, and sometimes Samsung notebook hard drives run into the most issues with ether reading/writing issues or head crashes (mechanically). Western Digital drives has been the choice of mine. and I've had little to no reports of problems with the scorpios and blue drives.

you would only hope that a big company like apple will make sure they use top notich hard drives in there systems (which so far that's not an issue unlike other manufacturers)

Anyway, if you were having "slow drive reads/writes" usually its eather page indexing when you run low on physical ram or a very defragmented hard disk.

(im a tech for a pc repair company so i've gotten to see alot of these problems.)

as far at you say they replaced it, in what particular did you say to genius that gave them the go on redoing the hard drive? did they say at all? like the last poster said, it didn't seem to have any "mechanical" issues......right?...

8. urmajest thread starter macrumors newbie

My HDD was hitachi (160GB). The replaced one is also hitachi. I'm a bit disappointed since my hitachi drive (200GB, 7200rpm) on my last laptop failed twice.

I told the genius bar guy that 'read' is too slow. I also showed the xbench result, but it seems he doesn't care. In the repair request paper, he just wrote down that the customer claims reading from the hard drive is slow. blabla...

Well, I didn't run the benchmark yet, but I should tell the replaced one is fine. It takes around 30 seconds to boot (it was around 2 minutes with the previous one).

The hdd I had before

did not make any noise
    did not show any problem in S.M.A.R.T status
    did not show any clue for data corruption

It was just too slow in reading while writing was fine.

9. techguy1 macrumors regular

Added 2gig ram and upgraded hard drive to seagate 3200 gig / 7200rpm

Latest test