Slow read write

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ventuss, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

My HDD read write speed is below 15mb, and the new one gets the same results, I don't know what to do, my macbook is wxtremely slow.

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

What speed (RPM) is your HDD? How much storage does it have, and how much free space is there? Do you leave many programs/windows open?

3. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

250GB 5400 rpm, later replaced for 750GB 5400 rpm, problem persists. I don't have anything other than iLife and iWork. I even reinstaled the OS and still the same slow behavior. It is impossible to use, very very slow.

I have another Macbook (same model) still running the original 250GB and getting btw 60-80MB, perfect machine.

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I would back up and reformat the whole drive and start completely over, and add in programs until there is a speed decrease (then you know what caused it). Otherwise just make sure to keep around 10% of your drive as free space if you can. Either that or you've just got a really strange macbook.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

When it is slow, screenshot the CPU, memory and disk pages from the Activity Monitor, then we can see what is making it appear slow.

Computers don't generally run slow, it usually means they are waiting for something to too busy doing something that is stopping it doing useful stuff for you. Either way we need those screenshots.