slow response in deleting/moving files

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMcLovin, Dec 28, 2014.

1. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Hey, I have an iMac 5K with 1tb SSD. I also previously had the late 2012 with 768gb SSD. SOme times, more often than not, when I move, add or delete a file it takes a couple of seconds before the icon/file appear/disappear. I hear the trashcan sound when I delete it, but the file is still there. Same also happens for renaming files. I did experience this with my previous iMac as well. I did a completely clean reinstall of my new iMac so its not linkage between the two computers, so the only thing that could cause it that could linked is if a certain program I am running causes it.

Any tips or ideas ? Anyone else experienced this ?

2. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Ok so I found out its the spotlight index which causes it, because once I turned off the indexing the responsiveness is completely different. Anyone else had these experiences?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I've had similar experiences with Spotlight, ever since Spotlight was introduced.

I don't care for its features, so one of the FIRST things I do with any new Mac or OS install is DISABLE Spotlight, forever!

Aside:
    I realize some folks feel they need what Spotlight offers, and I have no problems with that. But I turn it off.

4. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

I'm the same, first thing I do when I install OSX is disable Spotlight. Apple needs to work on its update algorithms and reduce its priority.

5. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

how do I turn it off ? just adding the HDDs in preferneces/spotlight/privacy/ list ?