Slow response in new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AquaBear, Jan 7, 2013.

1. AquaBear macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just recently received an rMBP as a gift, and I've been setting it up how I like it. For the most part, the laptop is amazing, but I've noticed a few inconsistencies.

First, the specs:

2.6 i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 SSD; Filevault encryption turned on (does this make a huge difference??)

Some of the issues I've been facing:

1) General unresponsiveness when opening the lid.

- I'm used to friends' MBAs responding instantaneously when the lid is opened, but my rMBP doesn't seem to do that often. I originally had it at the 1920x1200 resolution, and it seemed worse than it is now (I have it at the best for retina resolution). It'll respond after some time (10-20 seconds), and load the login screen, but it's not always instantaneous like you'd expect with an SSD...

2) One instance of keyboard backlight failure

- The keyboard backlight failed to respond to the F5/F6 commands to dim and brighten it, and would randomly flicker until I restarted the laptop. Hasn't come back again, so I was chalking it up to a one-time bug.

3) Weird scrolling issues

- From what I've been reading on here, that seems to be a software fault, especially in Safari. I'm also running Chrome Dev, so it may just be a fault of the buggy nature of the developer build of chrome.

Not sure what impact things like Filevault are having on the system, since that's the only thing I've really altered so far. I'm also running Better Touch Tool, Dropbox, Alfred, Caffeine, and Flux, so if any of those are the problem, please let me know!

Thanks for reading! Any advice/help would be most appreciated :)

Apart from these issues, the MBP is truly exceptional!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The scaled resolutions are slower than the native Retina-optimized resolution. Essentially, when it is in 1920x1200 it writes everything at 1940x2400 and scales it down.

I had a 2012 MacBook Air that was lost and recently replaced it with a 13" rMBP. I have noticed shutdowns are a little slower, but on the whole wake from sleep is about the same. I used FileVault on the Air as well, though. FileVault does add about 1-2 seconds to wake-from-sleep times.