Slow rMBP when low on battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davmeister, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

I've recently noticed when my 2014 rMBP gets low on battery (indicator turns red), the performance of the machine massively reduces, most notably in terms of graphics performance. Resizing windows, typing, minimizing etc. all look like a slideshow. As soon as I plug the power adapter in, however, the performance goes right back to normal.

I'd expect some kind of power saving but this is extreme. Does anyone else experience this?

Many thanks

Tom

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, but it makes sense because its tying to conserve power. I prefer not letting my MBP get that low on battery, so this issue is not something I've really faced.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's normal.

Heavy throttling will be in effect whenever the battery indicator goes red. It also serves as a very noticeable reminder to the user to charge the MacBook.

4. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Interesting. I've owned several iterations of rMBPs with different members of Apple's OSs on them, and not seen it before. It is a recent thing. I too don't let my Macbook drain too often, so perhaps it has always been there!

5. damidget macrumors regular

6. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

It probably needs more power than the power adaptor can supply and since the battery is low, it throttles the MBP. if I run my CPU and GPU flat out on my MBP, the battery will discharge for this reason, even though it's plugged in.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

happens here too. not sure about mavericks but definitely happens on yosemite.

8. eas macrumors member

You should read the OP again, the issue goes away as soon as the machine is plugged in.

Also are you sure you are using the right capacity power brick with your Mac? I've never seen the battery go down under full load, and, in fact, the battery still charges.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While the OP's issue is different, a MBP can draw power from both the battery and AC power when plugged in, during period of high power demands.

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

this happens to me when i get below 15% and its 100% normal!

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It may be newer battery saving procedures introduced into 10.10, either way, its a normal thing to occur at this point as noted by others.

12. cairene2011 Guest

Actually, I have always experienced this on my old MBA since October 2011, so this feature can't be that new.
    I had never noticed it on my previous mid-2009 MBP, however, and thought something was horribly wrong when the MBA did it for the first time. :)

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's expected behaviour. Mine does it as it reaches 5% and the battery indicator in the menu bar goes red. Did it on Mavericks and Yosemite.

My previous 2011 didn't show similar power saving tricks under Mavericks.