slow safari internet

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coykiam, Mar 30, 2009.

1. coykiam macrumors newbie

hi guys I have the macbook 13 inch 2.0 ghz version. It currently has the MAC OS 10.5.5 my problem is most of the time in safari the webpages load up pretty slow, feels like Im on dial up even though Im only a couple of feet away from my WiFi router. The webpages start to load up about 1/8th of the bar and then pauses then it starts loading up slow. In my PC with XP and in my laptop with XP the internet loads up pretty fast and normal.

My wifi router is a linksys WRT54GS with firmware v4.71.1 and my current setting for the macbook wifi is DHCP with manual address. For some reason I dont know why it wouldnt communicate with my router if set to "Using DHCP," it wouldnt even get an IP. But it communicates if I set it statically even though I've already increased the number of DHCP Address in my router.

Can someone please help? Thanks in advance all....

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try connecting an ethernet cable and just use DHCP. if Safari is quicker we know its a wifi problem.

3. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I would say it's the airport + router issue, but I find Safari 4 to be a bit slow for me, mostly wheel of deaths, but I still use it b/c I've gotten used to the newer features haha

4. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I've noticed Safari loads slow on my MacBook. I've tried Safari, Firefox and Camino with Camino loading the fastest.

5. coykiam thread starter macrumors newbie

It runs fine when I plug the ethernet cable, it only slows down when im using the wifi....i hope its just a software issue, really hate to send it to apple if its a hardware issue.

I used firefox with it, but the only downside is I cant navigate using the 2 or 3 finger strokes with it....grrrr

Im currently at work right now and dont have my macbook, ill try to use firefox again and see if it loads faster. will update as soon as i get to try it.

6. raremage macrumors 6502a

Does anything else you do with it slow down over wifi? For example, downloading something from iTunes, or an FTP transfer?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Probably just a few files acting up not the Safari browser or Webkit framework.

try resetting Safari and/or deleting the com.apple.Safari.plist in home/Library/Preferences.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

If you like FF enough you can get the newest BETA in which allows 3finger Back/Forward, google multitouch FF

9. nojustice macrumors newbie

My Safari was slow and my Airport connection would randomly dropped. I switched the settings on my router from WPA2 to just WPA and its working fine now.

10. coykiam thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried clearing it but with no luck...

I forgot to mention it before but, if i go sites like apple.com or google and macrumors, it seems to load up fine...but if i go to amazon, facebook and such...thats when the lag starts. The status bar will start to load about 1/8th of it and stops....then after a couple seconds it will load the page, and sometimes even longer.

I'm currently using WEP key, I'll see if setting it to WPA will do the trick. And also I tried it with firefox and it seems to load up fine. Meaning the pages load up a tad faster in firefox.

11. coykiam thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried clearing it but with no luck...

I forgot to mention it before but, if i go sites like apple.com or google and macrumors, it seems to load up fine...but if i go to amazon, facebook and such...thats when the lag starts. The status bar will start to load about 1/8th of it and stops....then after a couple seconds it will load the page, and sometimes even longer.

I'm currently using WEP key, I'll see if setting it to WPA will do the trick. And also I tried it with firefox and it seems to load up fine. Meaning the pages load up a tad faster in firefox.

12. coykiam thread starter macrumors newbie

an update...i changed it from WEP to WPA and it seems to be faster now. Will see how it goes. Thanks again guys...

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Perhaps it has something to do with the double posting?!?!:D