Slow SATA performance in XP/Bootcamp on Mac Pro 09

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by for329, May 19, 2009.

1. for329 macrumors member

Is anyone having slow SATA performance on their 09 mac pro in bootcamp. Just booting into windows takes a long time and trying to burn a disc or transfer something to an external hard drive takes a long time. I created a large iso file and burned it to a BD-50 RW disc in windows and it took approximately 4 hours and it was set to burn at the fastest speed which should of been 2x but never reached any faster than 0.7x. I burned the same iso in mac osx through disc utility and it took less than 2 hours. I transferred the same iso file to an external usb hard drive in windows and that took 4 hours which is extremely slow. Does anyone know how to get SATA operating at a normal speed. I checked in the device manager and it is set to operate in DMA mode.

2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I had roughly the same type of issue when I first got my 1st Gen MP 2.66. The problem for me, and probably for you, is lack of appropriate drivers in your XP install. In order for me to fix the problem, I had to slipstream the proper MB chipset drivers into m XP iso image. Once I did that, everything worked great.

Kimo

3. for329 thread starter macrumors member

If it is a driver issue, I am not sure what chipset drivers too load.

4. jgbr macrumors 6502

We have discussed this problem in the apple forums. Move your HD to Sata Bay 1 or 2.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

This might help. :)

6. for329 thread starter macrumors member

Could you please post a link to this.

7. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

8. for329 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I have the hard drive that windows is on in bay 4 and I will place the drive in bay 2 and will post my results.

9. for329 thread starter macrumors member

I placed the hard drive in bay 2 and it is now much faster.

10. vailance macrumors member

vailance

assume that apple advertise all the ports were sata-2 3gbps port, why the 1st and 2nd hdd slot were faster in windows and not in mac os x. i assume they havent fixed the chipset drivers?

11. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The link in #5 is the best cure for the problem. When you throw out the legacy drivers and run the 4 HD in AHCI mode you also get the two unused ODD-SATA ports which can be used as additional HD ports or for a Blu-Ray under Windows.