Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
No, it's some kind of paradox, you can't install SATA drivers from the hard drive that will turn to being SATA once the drivers are installed, so they have to be installed from a disk.

AlexBlack

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks guys, i got it working as well. I am using XP pro SP2, but im at school so i dont remember the build.

barber107

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Without the chipset driver (just the sata driver) I don't think it worked...I am still in PIO only mode. It seemed quicker, but I am not sure. I am going to test before I do anthing and I post the results.

Since I am pretty sure it isn't working I want to try it with the chipset driver now! Will somebody (who has fixed their's) send me the name of the exact file they used for the chipset driver or a link directly to it? The link takes you to a search sesults page and I am not sure the files on that page are correct.

Thanks,

Barber

Origin

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Nantes, France
XP Pro SP2 French with integrated drivers DONE ;)

I'll try soon (maybe tomorrow, when my MacPro will surely ARRIVE AT DESTINATION) ...

chrismmx

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
Paris,France
Origin said:
XP Pro SP2 French with integrated drivers DONE ;)

I'll try soon (maybe tomorrow, when my MacPro will surely ARRIVE AT DESTINATION) ...

Don't ever forget to tell me that!:D

j'ai commandé le mien aujourd'hui. mais il faut que j'attends trois semaine!!!!:eek:

Origin

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Nantes, France
chrismmx said:
Don't ever forget to tell me that!:D

j'ai commandé le mien aujourd'hui. mais il faut que j'attends trois semaine!!!!:eek:

[french_speaking]
Sans doute beaucoup moins, apparamment les X1900 XT commencent déjà a être envoyées !!!! ;)
[/french_speaking]

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I have my external floppy drive and a disk loaded with the SATA drivers so I am going to try loading the drivers that way (when it asks you to hit F6 to install 3rd party drivers). Has anyone actually tried this yet? I know there has been some theoretical discussion on the subject but I don't think anyon has actually tested it yet. It should do basically the same thing as slipstreaming the CD.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
Origin said:
[french_speaking]
Sans doute beaucoup moins, apparamment les X1900 XT commencent déjà a être envoyées !!!! ;)
[/french_speaking]
Not much longer, apparently the X1900 XT cards have already started shipping?

(please tell me I'm not completely hopeless at French)

Origin

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Nantes, France
Yes, it's the "native" procedure with a stock Windows XP CD ... so try and let us know ! A good way to get confirmation that this method is working in any case ;)

Origin

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Nantes, France
Mr. Mister said:
Not much longer, apparently the X1900 XT cards have already started shipping?

(please tell me I'm not completely hopeless at French)

Great translation ;)
I hope my english is as good as your french understanding ;)

chrismmx

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
Paris,France
Origin said:
[french_speaking]
[/french_speaking]

I don’t even commander a 1900XT, I have just commanded the kit Bt+APE, it takes 3weeks! Can’t believe it! I will buy a X1950XTX PC version to use in Windows, 7300gt for the mac OSX sufficient to me. By the way ,I think there is no problem to use a PC version graphic card in Macpro just for Windows, no?:(

G5guy

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2004
Hey - I don't know why this wasn't mentioned before:

1) Take a floppy drive and hook it up to the 2nd IDE connection. Even if you had to buy one they are ~ $10.

2) Use it with the drivers on a floppy disk.

The reason is I don't think Windows will work thru a USB external floppy drive.

Possible?

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
G5guy said:
Hey - I don't know why this wasn't mentioned before:

1) Take a floppy drive and hook it up to the 2nd IDE connection. Even if you had to buy one they are ~ $10.

2) Use it with the drivers on a floppy disk.

The reason is I don't think Windows will work thru a USB external floppy drive.

Possible?
Floppy drives don't use IDE and Windows does see external USB floppy drives. At least it does on non-Apple hardware.

G5guy

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2004
topgunn said:
Floppy drives don't use IDE and Windows does see external USB floppy drives. At least it does on non-Apple hardware.

Well, then now I know why. :)

However, if windows does see USB by the time the F6 option is available, then a usb memory stick should work. That would be even easier.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
ive tried a usb stick before for sata drivers on my pc but i didn't work before... maybe i did something wrong but yea it didn't see anything i looks for A:/ i think rather than anything else?

Origin

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Nantes, France
In fact, WinXP install see the usb floppy JUST BECAUSE the legacy floppy "A:" is "simulated" by the BIOS. So, the WinXP don't even know usb devices ...

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
aiongiant said:
ive tried a usb stick before for sata drivers on my pc but i didn't work before... maybe i did something wrong but yea it didn't see anything i looks for A:/ i think rather than anything else?
Thats just it. The USB stick identifies itself as a fixed disk whereas the USB floppy identifies itself as removable media thus the USB stick gets assigned a drive letter of D, E, F, etc while the floppy gets A or B. The Windows install only looks at A and B after you press F6.

pipomolo42

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
topgunn said:
Thats just it. The USB stick identifies itself as a fixed disk whereas the USB floppy identifies itself as removable media thus the USB stick gets assigned a drive letter of D, E, F, etc while the floppy gets A or B. The Windows install only looks at A and B after you press F6.
Hi,

Actually, I think it depends on the bios and wether the usb disk is partitionned or not.

A usb stick with no partition table (whole device seen as a fat16) will generally be seen as a floppy, whereas a usb stick with one single partition in its table (most common these days) will be seen as a hard disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.