Slow server to server copying since 10.5.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steerpikegg, Feb 15, 2008.

1. steerpikegg macrumors member

Hi,

I wondered if anyone else has had this.

Basically my set up is 3 macs (mac pro, iMac 2.4, macbook pro) which are connected by gigabit wired lan to a Linux server running samba.

All 3 macs are connected to the server and this imac also shares a drive (AFP). The Linux server has 2 shares - storage and archive and the imac share is work.

Using the mac pro, before the update, copying something from work to archive or vice versa would be at high speed and take a couple of seconds for a 100mb file.

After the update, this is now copying at around 1mb per sec and takes well over a minute.

If I take the file, copy to the mac pro desktop and then copy to archive it works at the previous speed, ie it is the server to server copying which is really slow now.

This applies to any of the Macs copying server to server but only the ones updated to 10.5.2 - booting from a 10.5.1 drive, it's all fine and lightning fast again.

Any thoughts ?

Steer

2. Queso macrumors G4

Pig cloning now included in OSX?

Apple needs to advertise!!!

:D

(Yeah, sorry, not particularly helpful)

3. steerpikegg thread starter macrumors member

4. Queso macrumors G4

I take it the gigabit connection is via ethernet switch, in which case the duplex settings may be mismatching between the computers and the switch itself. At a guess it could be that the duplex auto-negotiation in 10.5.2's ethernet driver could be screwed.

5. steerpikegg thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Yeah I checked all the settings but nothing seems to make any difference, jumbo frames enabled on all systems and full duplex set too.

It seems like somethings screwed with duplexing though - if I try to unzip a file directly on the server or the imac share, it takes forever.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Is full duplex set on the switch too? Otherwise you'd be better off leaving the Macs on auto.

7. steerpikegg thread starter macrumors member

Yeah switch is properly configured too.

If I bootcamp to windows or if I boot 10.5.1 from external, everything works fine. Just 10.5.2 :mad: