Slow Shutdown - Brand New Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rkdiddy, Apr 30, 2014.

1. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Hey guys, I just got a new maxed out 15" MBPr - 2.6/16GB/1TB. I set up the laptop as new and reinstalled all of my apps. I'm experiencing really slow shutdown (20+ seconds) and start-ups (10 seconds).

I'm coming from the 15" MBPr in my signature and I never had these issues. I'm concerned there is something not running right on my laptop. I get the occasional beach ball, but this restart/shutdown is concerning.

I'm wondering if this is worth exchanging this laptop or not. If I had experienced these issues with my old laptop, I wouldn't be concerned. But spending $3.5k on a new laptop, I would expect it to run a little better than my previous MBPr.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's the way Mavericks handles things. I've been experiencing long shutdowns since the days of Mountain Lion, so I've grown accustomed to it :)

3. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

It's weird cause my shutdowns are like 10-15 seconds but my restart is like under 10 seconds flat lol.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I wouldn't know, I don't shut down my machines, unless I plan to store them for a while.

The 10 seconds for startup look fine to me. I'm not sure why shutdown should be slower, but it seems that others are also experiencing this. I think that with 30 days standby in sleep mode, Apple doesn't intend for users to turn off their machines anymore.

Of course if you fly a lot it is a different issue... though even there I usually keep it in sleep mode.

5. ravipiero macrumors regular

I used to have super fast booting and shutdown on Mountain Lion. Also, when I pressed shutdown button, I can close the lid and let it shutdown.

Now on Mavericks, not only the boot/shutdown is slower, but also if I close my lid after pressing the shutdown button, the computer goes to sleep.

I'm using fully customize mid 2012 15" rMBP.

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Mavericks is definitely slower to shutdown on my machine. It seems that it's just how it is.

7. rkdiddy thread starter macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Thanks guys for the feedback - it's very helpful.

The whole thing is just a little weird. I thought maybe I was just being overly critical, so last night I pulled my old rMBP (in signature) and decided to run a side-by-side test. On a side note, I'm selling my rMBP because I'm simply out of space (I only have about 15GB of space left).

So I did a few tests and sure enough my old machine did a complete restart while the new machine was still on the grey screen with cursor (shutting down). My old machine is on Mavericks as well.

Based off everyone's feedback it does appear it's a Mavericks issue (that effects a lot of people), but I'm not sure why such a drastic difference when both machines, from a software standpoint, are configured the same.

The other weird thing is I use my machines in clamshell mode connected to a TBD. The new machine has failed to wake a few times when connecting to my monitor - which is annoying since you then have to unplug and open the machine, then repeat.

I think I will order a new machine to see if I'm having the same issues. I rely on my machine for my design business and I'm a little concerned these little gremlins might rear their heads down the road - when I'm out of the return window.