Slow Shutdown / Log-Off - Retina 13" Late 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alfieg, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Alfieg macrumors member

Hi everyone. This might be more of a software query than Retina Macbook specific but posting it here as my Macbook Air is not affected.

I have a 13" Retina Pro Late 2013 (2.6/8/256) and an Air 11" 2010 (Core 2 Duo).

With both machines on a fresh install of mavericks 10.9, my shutdown time on the Air is about 2 seconds. On the Pro though it's more like 30. This is after multiple reboots, to make sure it's not the OS settling down.

I run other OS's via Bootcamp so this is a bit of a pain, although not life threatening! I get a light grey screen for 10-20 seconds with a cursor, then the cursor goes and the light grey screen stays for around 10 seconds more. There is no spinning wheel.

I tried reinstalling, making sure there is nothing I had changed or installed that might do this.

I reset my keychain at one point, for an unrelated reason and that seemed to fix it for a few reboots.

Any ideas and does anyone else see the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

2. hova macrumors member

I also have a late 2013 13" rMBP and notice the slow shutdown. However i do have filevault enabled which may cause the long shutdown time.

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" rMBP and shutdown used to be around 4 or 5 seconds on ML.
    Since I moved to Mavericks it takes much longer (nearer 15 or 20 seconds). No filevault here.
    Apart from the occasional spinning wheel this is the only downside of Mavericks and I'll live with it.
    But I do notice it :)

4. Alfieg thread starter macrumors member

I reset my default keychain and that does seem to fix it.......mostly.

Now 1-2 seconds to shutdown, but some odd behaviour now and then where shutdown freezes for ages, background fades, dock partially closes. Very odd that Keychain can have this much effect on shutdown. Why would this be? Might be a question for another forum section?