Slow Shutter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mac7, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I have a Nikon D3100, even at shutter speed of 1/200, it feels like the shutter is set at 1/8. I takes shots like it was set at 1/200 but the shutter seems slow and very loud.

What could be the issue?

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

The pictures seem like they have a low shutter speed, or the sound is the problem?

The mirror flapping around probably takes around 1/8 of a second and makes much more noise than the shutter.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So if you take a photo at 1/8th of a second, then take another photo at 1/200 seconds but change nothing else, the two photos look the same?

4. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

The photos will be different, but the shutter sound, sounds the same. It seems like it takes the same amount of time to take each photo.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Take through view finder = fast
    Take picture while looking at LCD = slow

6. leandroc76 macrumors regular

This. Reason #435,681 why live view should not be on an SLR.

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Oh please. I use liveview for plenty of professional work, and just as much personal work.

Articulating screens? Now THOSE should stay off my dSLR.

8. admwright macrumors regular

I suspect that a lot of the sound is due to moving the mirror up and down. The D3100 can only take images at 3fps. It is only when you get into shutter times of more than 3/10 sec that the time to take the image is longer than the 'mechanics' of the camera taking the picture. Or look at it another way if you take picutres at 1/1000 and 1/10 the camera still can only take three per second.

All the best
    Andrew W.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm guessing you are hearing the mirror flip not the shutter. Also be advised the way the shutter works is it doesn't fully open when you get above (I believe 1/200th) but it just opens a slit. This is why when you force the camera to go above a certain shutter speed and use a flash you get these black bars, those are the shutter curtains.

I hope that made sense. I know what I'm trying to say but I've been up for about 36 hours so it may not have come out right.