Slow, slow, slow iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Juggler9000, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Juggler9000 macrumors newbie

iTunes takes about 4 minutes to start up for me and about 10 minutes to fully quit. This is a bit too much for my tastes.

My Specs: I'm running a Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz with 2GB of RAM. iTunes has about 10,000 songs in, it 36GB, with 1 smart playlist, no plug-ins, no added visualizers, no videos.

The problem began about a year ago and has steadily gotten worse. Up until 2 weeks ago, I had a few visualizers, a few plugins, and about 15 smart playlists, all of which referenced each other. I had been building on the same iTunes library for 3 years (moved it to the Mini form my PowerBook G4), so I thought maybe a fresh library would help. I backed everything up, deleted my Music Library, then deleted iTunes, all App plugins, all App support. Everything I could find related to iTunes and reinstalled.

Starting up iTunes with no music and no plugins took about 3 minutes and 10 to quit. I tried again and it took just as long. I added all my music back in (I needed music) and it takes the same time. It seems it is slow no matter the amount of music.

Any thoughts on what could cause this?

New difficulty with iTunes 8.0 - Genius. I ran the Genius thing and it was working on it for 2 days without finishing. That's weird.

No other problems with the computer, other apps run great. Just iTunes is slow. My solution is to never close iTunes, but this isn't always ideal...

2. applefanta macrumors newbie

Yes, I agree with you.
    Mine also got slower. It does not take that much to start or shutdown though...:(