slow slow startup times?? help

i-unit123

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
hello,

recently i started noticing that my mac (20" intel imac 2.0 2GB) is starting up slowly. For example, the menu bar at the top right of the screen seems to take a long time to load. my mac used to boot significantly faster it seems. ive tried repairing permissions, and that didnt help. what can i do to improve boot up times?

i-unit123

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2006
no, it is the default configuration.what else could cause this??

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Check you SMART status in disk utility. Also try create a new account and see if that one is slow.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
trainguy77 said:
Check you SMART status in disk utility. Also try create a new account and see if that one is slow.
Actual physical HD problem are possibilities, along with fragged file system (use fsck or Disk Utility).

Repairing permissions (which you tried), and update_prebinding are the other things to run/check.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Macs will never be as fast as when you first brought them, sadly I've never known a way to get that speed back from when you first got it, for example my Powermac G4 1.25 ghz Used to take 12 seconds to start up the first month or so now it takes about 25-30 seconds

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A format and reinstall should theoretically bring it right back up to as-new speeds. Of course, there's not much point in doing this because as soon as you start installing new login items and apps it'll mildly slow down again. I find the slow down over time isn't nearly as large or disruptive as that of my Windows PC thankfully. :)

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
How often do you reboot? The less often you do, the more cleanup scripts os x has to run... that hurts speed a bit.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
just a thought, maybe use onyx clean up ur system or reset PRAM, not sure if they would be helpful, but doesn't hurt to try, pretty simple compare to re-install system.