Slow SMB connections... (network advice)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by luffx, Dec 17, 2007.

1. luffx macrumors regular

Heya,

Whenever a Mac on my network connects to a Windows Server via SMB, they experience very slow downloads speeds & come to a cripple when trying to open an Illustrator file over the network. When a windows machine accesses this server, there are no problems.

I've heard of Windows Server not liking the Mac Ack-delay, so I edited the SMB config file, but I'm still having issues.

Any1 have any ideas?

thanks in advance,
    ~Luf.

2. warbird macrumors newbie

Hello, did you ever get a response to this or figure out a solution? I am experiencing the same thing on two different Macs (both running Leopard, fully upgraded), plugged into the same switch, but a Windows PC plugged into the same switch has no difficulty.

I've checked my network, thinking the Macs were having duplexing issues but all is well there. I've tried many things on each Mac, even allowing all incoming connections through the firewall, connecting to the Windows share via IP instead of name, etc... nothing has worked. This one really has me stumped.

Can anyone help?

3. warbird macrumors newbie

Actually, I just found the solution elsewhere...

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

...seems to have done the trick for me.

4. luffx thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that with no good results. (mentioned in the original post).

My problem turned out to be a DNS issue. The Macs were using DNS that was on a Netware server, so we switched it to the Windows AD DNS, and everything worked fine.