Slow speed over WiFi on MBP only

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vladi, Jan 26, 2017.

1. vladi macrumors 6502

Something weird is going on lately, it's been few months that '16 MBP 15 has miserable speeds over WiFi in my home. Every other mobile device including phones, tablets and Windows laptops do just fine except MBP15. It freakin crawls to like 512kb/s but on other wireless networks in different places other than home it works just fine.

My router is dual band TP-Link N600 and MBP crawls on both 2.4Gghz and 5Ghz networks. I've tried different channels, tried disabling WMM and nothing works. I haven't tried disabling the N mode but whats a point of that then.

Any ideas or same experiences?

2. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

If it works fine on other wifi networks, there's got to be some sort of configuration issue with your hardware. Is your router firmware up to date? Tried a hard reset of it? Remove the MBP and add it back? Tried playing with MAC address filtering?

3. vladi thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's the thing, its on the latest firmware, I've tried disconnecting MBP from all the networks, I have no MAC dedicated IP or filtering. It's just weird. Sure I could try factory reset why not.

4. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

If its only happening at home, then maybe your router is getting old. They do that. I had an Apple Express that was great for years, and then gradually I noticed my speed was dropping. One day I went back to the router that the incoming ISP gave me instead of using my apple Express and discovered that the express had dropped to dial up levels. It worked really well for obout 10 years and then just died.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I'm guessing you already tried this but have you ruled out the possibility of USB interference? I'm not sure if type-C has the issues of USB 3, but some USB 3 devices/cables can wreak havoc on speeds. I've got one USB 3 hub that will reduce my internet download speeds from 200+ Mbps to under 10.

If you've already tried changing the channel, I am also guessing you have ran the diagnostics as well as a scan for optimal channel @ 2.4 & 5 and optimal frequency.

Are you in an area with substantial 2.4 GHz clutter? Further, are you close enough to the router where 5 GHz-only is viable? What kind of RSSI stats are you getting?