slow speed using mywi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ihonda, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ihonda macrumors 68000

so i just bought mywi, i notice when tethering wirelessly i only get 1.2mbps but if i run a speedtest right on my iphone i can get around 2.5mbps. ive tried setting the power to 100%, then down to 30% and everywhere inbetween! anyone else having this issue? dont tell me to tether by usb cord bc the whole point of paying $20 was so i didnt have to use my usb cable (obviously)

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

You're going to lose some speed when your phone becomes a hotspot. The difference does seem a little drastic but will it really make such a difference?

3. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

When grabbing something over 200mb yes it makes a difference

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

How often do you grab a 200MB file that you need right that second and it cannot wait just a couple of minute more???

It is slower since your phone is NATing and routing package, that take resources, memory and impact the network performance. The 3G won't keep those 2.5Mbps anyway, 3G network will vary alot depending of the load on the tower, weather and other factors.

5. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

How about not downloading large files when tethered to a phone?

I hope you don't have an unlimited plan. People like you who abuse the unlimited plan and tether it using as their primary internet.

I'm glad MyWi slows your speed down. Too bad it couldn't be a bigger speed decrease.

6. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

Both of you can go play in traffic, sometimes if you are trying to fix a computer driver files can exceed 200mb

I have high speed at home, I'm talking when I'm on the go

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't disagree but a computer won't die if the driver takes 5min to download instead of just 3min. If you tell me you are doctor and you need test result or to see a X-ray image them i'll say ok... You right, but a driver??? 1.2mbps on the go is plenty

8. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

im not saying 1.2 isnt enough, i was just curious why it was almost half the speed of when u run a test directly on the phone.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Fair enough..

10. gatearray macrumors 65816

Not sure why you're getting all the apologistic responses to your question, ihonda, but I'll take it at face value even if some of the others would rather call out your intentions instead of addressing your concern. :)

Back when I was JB'd using MyWi, my iPad tethered speed were just slightly off from the speed test on my iPhone. Like if the iPhone said 3.5mbps, the iPad was like 3.2 or something if memory serves.

Still I can't answer your question, but half the speed certainly doesn't sound right. Might have something to do with WEP or other security on MyWi, maybe reinstall it, contact the dev, try a speed test tethered to your computer, etc.

Good luck and let us know if you figure it out!

11. Relentless73, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

Relentless73 macrumors newbie

Having the same problem

I'm having the same problem on my iPhone 3GS.

No computers tethered via wireless at this point...just installed and enabled the MyWi 4.0 software.

Before enabling the Wireless Tethering option, I did a speedtest.net check directly from my phone using the iPhone app. I was getting almost 3Mbps down and 3Mbps up.

After enabling the MyWi tethering option, I ran speedtest.net check again directly on my phone using the iPhone speedtest.net app and I got less than 100Kbps down and 100 Kbps up.

I ran the test 3 more times with MyWi enabled and got the same results.

I went back in and shut off wireless tethering in MyWi. I then went back to speedtest.net...(On the iPhone)...and instantly my speed was back up around 3Mbps.

Less than 100K is very painful...and not very useful as an internet connection for a tethered laptop.

I'm going to keep searching, but so far no one seems to have a valid answer for this problem. I'm surprised at some of the comments above like, "Just download small files...". Hopefully there are some people on this forum who can help resolve this. There is a HUGE difference between 3Mbps and 100kbps.

Thanks!

12. Relentless73 macrumors newbie

Update---USB

Update...

There is definitely an issue with the MyWi 4.0 software on my 3GS. I disabled the wireless tether. Tested speedtest.net on the iPhone and verified that I was back to the 2-3Mbps speeds up and down.

Then I went back into the MyWi application and enabled USB tethering. I didn't connect/tether to anything...just turned it on.

Then, I went back to speedtest.net app on the iPhone and ran the test again. Pings increased from 160ms to over 500ms and bandwidth dropped to around 110kbps up and 90kbps down.

This application is either doing something to my 3G radio or somehow AT&T is detecting that I'm tethering and they are limiting my bandwidth.

Very strange....anyone else having this problem?