Slow SSD speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by drnebulous, Aug 6, 2014.

1. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

I have checked my SSD, and it's only getting to about 105mb/s write speed and 150mb/s read speed. It should be about 450MB/s.

SSD: Kingston SSD Now V300
    Macbook Pro: MacBookPro9,2, 13-inch, Mid 2012, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000, OS X 10.9.4 (13E28).

What is the problem? I thought that this computer has full SATA III?

It also has a secondary hard drive in the optical drive bay, if that makes any difference - Western Digital Black 500GB

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I'd suggest swapping the drives around to see if it's any faster in the optical bay. It sounds like the drive itself is to blame because even if it was dropping to SATA II (3Gb/s) speeds it would be over 200Mb/s, you're only getting SATA speeds (1.5Gb/s).

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Was it always this slow since you installed it, or is this slowdown something new?

Do you have TRIM enabled?

4. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Do you have an alternative data cable to hand? It might be worth swapping them to rule it out, it could be breaking down

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try doing an internal secure erase in Parted Magic. Do not just try doing it in Disk Utility. I did this on a Verbatim SSD and it doubled the speeds. I am not sure what caused me to need to do that though.