Slow Start (BEFORE the apple logo)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pappysven, Sep 11, 2012.

1. pappysven macrumors newbie

Hello
    I bought recently a MBPro Classic.
    I put in 16 G Corsair RAM , and an M4 SSD of 256 G mounted in an optibay (instead of the dvd drive), which is my boot drive.
    I mounted the whole yesterday, in having very careful to remove the battery from the motherboard connector (it may be its importance) following ifixit's step by step.

Since I have a problem at startup, it is very very long. At least 30 seconds before the "boing" sound and then it goes quickly enough

The only workaround I've found is to start a long press of the power button, the light make a few quick blink then it strat.

I did a reset PRAM and MSC but nothing.

What may be of this problem? He check the ram at startup? the fact that the startup disk instead of the DVD player? I don't know too much what to do...

NB: sorry for my poor english :/

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

try putting the SSD in the main hard drive bay and see if that fixes it

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you go to System Prefs in the Startup Disk pane and set the new drive as the strartup disk? If you did not that would account for the slow boot as the system searches for a boot drive.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

great suggestion I was thinking this also, but wasnt sure if it would even look past the selected drive, but if it does automatically look to the next drive if the first one was missing OSX that this could be the issue for sure

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My understanding of how this works is when the selected boot drive is gone the system then checks for a netboot image, and failing that starts looking to other drives. That is why it takes so long when no drive is marked as the startup drive... searching first for a netboot image takes time.