Slow start up shutdown and running

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by djinferno, Mar 23, 2013.

1. djinferno macrumors newbie

djinferno

I have 15-inch, Early 2011 macbook pro
    Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    500 GB
    SATA Disk with 390 gb free
    Mountain Lion

my macbook is taking a very long time to shutdown and to load up from grey screen... I have tried almost every fix or solution in the forums but i am still getting slows speeds.. also getting freezing using safari or chrome and freezing of wifi connection... i am a mac novice and really need some help please

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
      (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Cache

Go to Go menu hold down option key library appears....find Cache...drag it to desktop...restart computer see if it improves with browsers etc. If better, trash cache

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no need to do that, and it will only hurt performance, as system resources will be consumed while rebuilding all the caches. Caches exist to improve performance. As for the browser's cache, that can be emptied from the browser.

5. KevinGrabher macrumors newbie

Open Disk Utility (loacted in Appliations -> Utilites) and hit "check volume" on the Drive, as well as the volume (usually "Macintosh HD") just to make sure that your filesystem isn't corrupt

6. djinferno thread starter macrumors newbie

djinferno

done all that ... did not clear cache as i was told no need for mac... but still sluggish and takes a long time to boot... i have almost 400gb free hdd space and 16 gb ram so it shouldnt be slow