Slow start.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by giganten, Jun 25, 2007.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

I did install my wacom intuos 3 on my MBP: 2.2ghz, 2Gb, yesterday. I did also install the program you did get with it, corel painter essentials.

But when I did turn the computer off yesterday it did take very long time. I did start it today and the start time is very slow, I think it is more then double the time.
    Can it be my wacom or corel that did do this or should i do something else?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you installed from a CD, you might check the Wacom website and make sure you have the newest drivers for your computer.

You can also open up Activity Monitor (in you Utilities folder)...make sure that Kind is selected under the View > Columns menu...then look to see if any Wacom or Corel related processes that are running are Kind = PowerPC. If that's the case, they are probably the culprits (slowing down the computer by running in the Rosetta emulation layer).

3. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

corel is PowerPC.
    But why does the computer start so slow because of that? Does rosetta start even when the program is not running, will i get the "speed" back on my MBP if I uninstall corel?

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you opened up Activity Monitor before launching Corel Painter and saw a process (or two) running that had Corel in the name, that probably means that Corel is loading in some portions of the software before you even start up the application.

If that's the case, then it could be slowing it down (anything that uses the Rosetta layer slows it down).

Did you make any other changes to your computer recently?

5. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

No i didnt have any corel in the names of the running process before i did start corel painter.

No I dont remember sometng else i did do..

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well...are there any other processes running right after you startup that are kind = PowerPC? If so, post their names here so we can figure out what they are doing.

Also, what programs do you have set to launch at Startup?

Right now it doesn't sound like Corel is the problem and as long as you have the current Wacom driver that shouldn't be a problem either.

You also might try running Disk Utility (in your Utilities folder) and selecting the Repair Permissions button. Then do a restart after it finishes.

7. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope I don't have any more programs that is PowerPC.

Skype and adium launch on startup.

But I have Wacomtabledriver and tabletdriver they are intel but why do I have two tablet drivers?

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well, then as long as you have that current Wacom driver, it shouldn't really be slower on startup. You might check in :apple:>System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items to make sure there is nothing there that you don't recognize.

9. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing is wrong there. I did do
    and I think it startup faster now..

Thanks for the help!

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Glad to hear that helped.

Hmmm...I only have tabletdriver. Then again I have an older PPC Mac and an older tablet as well. I'm not sure, hopefully someone running else on Intel with your tablet can confirm you need both of those and that it's not a conflict.

11. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did talk to one that did have a wacom 3 tablet and intel mac and he did only have the tabletdriver.

Is something wrong here, should i uninstall my wacom and download the drvers and install it again?

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hmm...be causing a conflict, but I'm not sure. It's worth a try to replace them.

Just make sure you follow Wacom's steps for uninstalling your current drivers (if it's like mine, you'll have a Remove Tablet application in a folder inside the Applications folder). Then reinstall with the new ones you download. Then check Activity Monitor and see if anything has changed.