Slow startup after cloning drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Luis Ortega, May 29, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have 4 hard drives in my Mac Pro- one is the system drive in bay 1, one is a scratchdisk, one is a clone of the system drive (created with superduper) and one is a media drive for video editing.

Recently, my system drive started making noises and freezing, so I bought a new hard drive, installed it and formated it with disk utility and then used superduper to copy the clone drive back to the new system drive.

The problem now is that startup takes significantly longer. The chime is heard and then the grey screen before the apple logo appears, but the grey screen holds for a long time (about 45-60 seconds) before the apple logo appears and the rest of the OS loading takes place.

It almost seems like the computer is trying to decide which hard drive to start from and eventually chooses the system drive.

Is there some trick to using a superduper clone of the system drive to reinstall the OS to a new hard drive so that it responds more quickly like before? It used to take about 35 seconds from pushing the button on the mac to seeing my desktop and now it takes well over a minute.

I'm worried that the process of copying a clone of the system drive back to a new hard drive is not setting up the drive correctly so that it behaves like a hard drive that had the OS installed from the install disks.

Can anyone please advise me on what may be wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

2. kevlong macrumors newbie

I did the same a few weeks ago, also using Superduper. Resetting the PRAM restored normal restart times for me.

Kevlong

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.

Thanks again. Setting the pram did the trick and it's ok now.