Slow Startup MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeremyboy222, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Jeremyboy222 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have since a couple of months problems with my MacBook Pro.

It's starting up quite slow (3,15 Minutes before full startup --> Ready to use). Also, the Startup Screen goes away after 1,40, so the rest of the time is blue screen/background screen.. Also, the startup sound isn't there anymore, and I heard that this means there's something wrong..

My Specifications are:

MacBook Pro 13 Inch
    4 GB RAM
    500 Gb Disk Space (110 GB Free)
    2,3 GHz Intel Core i5

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
    Jérémy

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Go into system preferences under user and groups and see what you have coming up at start up. May possibly be a sign of a failing hdd back up and reinstall OS X and restore your important files.

3. Jeremyboy222 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

TC400 is most likely correct - that reads like a failing hard drive. Back it up as soon as possible and run Disk Utility "Verify Disk." If you can, repair the disk, if not, get a new drive and move your information to it.

5. Jeremyboy222 thread starter macrumors newbie

But it isn't really failing? Because my MacBook Pro still starts up?

I'll try that verify disk..

-Jérémy

6. Idefix macrumors 6502

Most likely a failing hard drive. Is it making a clicking sound, and an audible whirring/rumbling sound?

Since HDs can be had for very reasonable prices nowadays, just replace it.

In the meantime, be very sure that you have everything backed up, more often than usual!

7. grrrz macrumors member

You should check your startup log.
    Launch console (into utility)
    in "console messages" look for something like
    *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
    (try to search for the text launchd[1] to find it)
    this is the start of the boot, and it goes with a date and a time.
    look the lines following this one, using the time to get a clue what's going on (when you see the pid is an application you launched, it means the startup is finished, the time it took can be a clue)
    between these two points you can find clues as to what's going on during this very long boot. If there is something recurring (and failing) that's something to investigate.
    google it to see if someone got the same problem.

8. Jeremyboy222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Can't find directly something like that started up, but I find many times something with MacKeeper, but I don't even have it..

And it isn't making any sound no..

But I did a Command + S and I saw something like Root Drive is only read-able
    Or something like that.. I'll take a screenshot of it..

-Jérémy

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes, it probably IS failing even though it still starts up - it shouldn't consistently be taking that long to start up. Long startup times are a classic symptom of a failing hard drive.

10. Jeremyboy222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Mkay, I'll go to the repair store soon.. However, I did that verify Disk, and it said the DIsk was OK.. But when I did verify Permissions, it said many were wrong.. I all repaired them, the startup is a little more faster I think.. Didn't measure yet actually. (Was on holiday).

-Jérémy