Slow startup osx 10.7.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimrodm, Jul 17, 2013.

1. nimrodm macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a Macbook pro late 2011 with osx 10.7.5, 8GB RAM, i5 2.4 GHZ, 500GB Hard drive (150GB free).Parallels installed with win7.
    In the last couple of month's I've had lots of startup issues. My macbook started to be really slow especially during startup.(2+ minutes)
    I've gone over most of the discussions regarding the same issues and I've done what all of you recommended:
    Cleanup of Hard Drive
    Remove startup items(I only have ituneshelper now)
    Clean of cache, cookies etc...(CCleaner, Onyx)
    Fix permissions and Repair Disk.
    I checked activity monitor to see if there is any process taking lots of CPU or RAM but everything seems fine.

I'd be happy if anyone could assist and let me know what more can I try to do.

Thanks

2. scbond macrumors 6502

Usually an OS will gradually take longer and longer to load the more data is stored on the system hard drive, however I wouldn't expect it to take around 2 minutes. I would suggest saving the data elsewhere and doing a fresh install. It's a lot of hassle, I know, but will do the job effectively.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

try going to system preferences > startup disk and select your disk and reboot. Sometimes startup can be slow because it is searching for the disk to boot from because it forgot for some reason. Worth a try anyway

4. nimrodm thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that too... Still over 2 minutes.

Im thinking of really formatting and re-installing OSX

5. ramram55 macrumors 6502

go with SSD, there is tons of tips on internet to install it, should get rid of the slow starting problem, makes your mbp 10 years younger. Should start with 20 secs max. If not blame the ssd manufacturer.