slow startup with optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chinhiphone, Feb 5, 2011.

1. chinhiphone macrumors regular

just installed an optibay hdd and for some reason my macbook pro boots up extra slow now.

it would make the chime and for abotu 15 seconds the screen is blank white and then the apple would appear and it would take its time to load again.

my macbook has a fresh install of mac osx as well done by apple when i took it in for repair

anybody know why?

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Mine had slow startup for a while too (boot SSD in the optibay). After a couple weeks it suddenly sped up by about 3 x. I'm guessing the system just has some maintenance work it does, and eventually "gets used" to the optibay config. Give it some time.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

Swap your drives around. The optibay should not be the boot drive.

4. chinhiphone thread starter macrumors regular

sorry.. my boot drive isnt the optibay.. what i meant to say was i installed an extra hdd in the optibay and my mbp boots slower than usual.

thanks for the help

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If you remove the HDD from the optibay does it boot normally?

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

system preferances > startup disk > select the disk you boot from and restart. likely your problem will be solved. Also its fine to boot from the optibay its just a sata port like any other only without the sudden motion sensor. If anything if you have an SSD you should be booting from it in the opti just so you protect the regular HDD better

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Agreed.
    The HDD should be in the original bay to benefit from the sudden motion sensor.

8. techspartan macrumors newbie

OptiBay SSD Install Optimum Config

Hey good stuff thanks for the advice here guys. I've been carefully planning my ssd upgrade and I'll make sure to install it optibay to take advantage off sudden motion sensor on the stock drive.

Anyone know how this impacts warranty service? Will Apple still work on our machines...I'm assuming the answer is no. But if we restore the machines to stock the answer would be yes correct?

Thanks