Slow startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacMan988, Jul 8, 2012.

1. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have a late 2011 macbook pro and it takes about 1 minute to start up. It used to start up within about 26 seconds. There is one thing I have noticed that during the start up, after the Apple logo appears it takes about 30 seconds for the spinning wheel to appear under the Apple logo.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How much would be the average startup time of this specific macbook pro with no SSD installed?

Thanks.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Check Parallels as it can be a resource hog. There are ways to tame it, but I don't recall how offhand.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try going to System Preferences and in the Startup Disk panel make sure your drive is selected as the boot drive. It sounds like maybe you changed this and the system is searching for a boot drive at startup.

6. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used to have windows with bootcamp but now its removed. Only the Macintosh HD is listed in the Startup Disk panel and the two buttons named "Restart" and "Target Disk Mode..." is there. Could you please explain me how to do the necessary configurations? I can recall that this problem started to appear during the time I was using bootcamp.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Just select (click) the only drive you see there and press "Restart".

8. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that and still the result is the same. I tried doing a safe boot and still no luck.

9. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where are these configuration related to the Startup Volume stuff saved in? Are they in the EFI partition? If then is this partition getting re-created (or data being re-created) if I reinstall Lion?

10. reemas macrumors member

Do you have any external USB drives plugged in? If so, unplug them completely and then try booting up. You'll notice a difference.

11. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

they are unplugged. still the result is the same. I thought of reinstalling Lion. But my question is does it re-create the EFI partition and the contents in it? What are the things a reinstallation would not change?

12. mac82 macrumors member

Download Onyx from macupdate.com (the lion version, not snow leopard). Run it and select the automation tab. Check 'execute maintenance scripts' and leave the others as they are. Click 'execute' and let it run. Reboot when it tells you to. This should fix anything that's wrong and interfering with boot times.

13. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OnyX didn't fix the problem. I'm thinking of reinstalling the Lion. Can someone please tell me whether a reinstallation would re-create the content in the EFI partition?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it will.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

16. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There aren't any. I have listed here all the apps I'm using. The only thing that would influence the startup process would be Parallels as I believe.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None of these things will affect the situation the OP described, as the delay occurs before even logging into any user account:
    I recommend reinstalling Mac OS X.

18. MacMan988 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I will try reinstalling Mac OS

19. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Reinstalling the OS is always a good way to speed things up. If you don't notice an improvement, use Disk Utility to verify the integrity of your hard drive - my current laptop's HDD failed once and one of the early symptoms was oddly slow startup times and random crashing when opening applications.

Something else you could do is to check Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents and /LaunchDaemons. You might find some startup items there which aren't listed under System Preferences - Parallels is one which springs to mind, should you be happening to use it.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This won't help. Read post #17.

21. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Yeah, it was just another idea. That's why I recommended re-installing the OS first.