Slow Startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gattz, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

I feel as though my startup times are getting slower, and things are taking longer to load when I boot up. Is there a way for me to make my MBP have the same loading speeds as before or as close to it as I can. I know that computers get slower over time, but there are ways to do maintenance on Macs right? Can someone recommend me some applications or do I only need something like Disk Utility (I don't really know what to do with it though)?

Thanks.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Empty your Caches folder:

~/Library/Caches (move the Caches folder to the trash, empty and restart)

You should notice a definite improvement.

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

use sometimes cocktail or similar !

you can also run COMBO 10.5.6 update again ..

4. xoggyux macrumors 6502

the easiest way is to "recover" the system to factory settings (backup your data and wipe out your HDD and install Mac OS X again) this is good to do anyways once a year or more frequent depending on your needs.

If you feel a bit more adventurous try an SSD drive, it will boot in secs (LITERALLY.) Look here, I posted my experience with a very cheap one (~$200) videos and pictures included! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661948&highlight=ssd+128gb

Anyway, I dont know your reasons to do it, but there is none (or very little) reasons to turn off your mac....

5. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in college, so when I take my MBP to class and back I turn it off because I heard that it can be very dangerous for the notebook to be on in a closed bag. I don't have an external HD to back my file to, so maybe something else.

6. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

My 2.53 320 gig 5400RPM HDD machine is starting up a little slower than when new.
    What happens when you delete the cache's? Does it affect anything?

7. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

hi,

the app "maintenance" from this site works really well and it's free
    http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

i hope this helps.

PS. you might want to look for some reviews online before installing anything that's free, but i've been using it for over a year and works like a charm.

8. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

by the way... the first time your computer boots after "cleaning your system" it will take longer than usual, however after that you should notice an improvement

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nothing is affected. It just keeps "clutter" that bogs down your computer. If you haven't touched this folder since you purchased this computer, get info and notice how big the folder is.