Slow Stock Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Thiol, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out is those articles about the slow Seagate 320 stock hard drives are true... Would others be willing to compare xbench numbers? Mine, on a 4-core 2.8 Mac Pro, is below. Are these numbers really slower than other 320 GB drives?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. aibo macrumors 6502

pretty glad mine shipped with a 320GB western digital instead. i read the macworld review stating the seagate drive was slow. here's mine:

Attached Files:

3. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Another WD 320GB:

xbench.png

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Suddenly my relatively new 2.5" 320GB@5400 WD disk in my old MacBook doesn't seem that bad:

Picture 2.jpg

:cool:

5. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

OK, based on this sample size, does this mean that the main difference between the WD and Seagate stock 320s is the random uncached write speed?

The silly follow up question is, how much of my normal processes fall under that category?

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

They ship all the 320 drives with only an 8-meg cache. Most, if not all drives today typically come with a 16 meg cache. Apple is just trying to cut corners wherever it can. I suspect they have a nice deal with the OEMs to offload these 8-meg cache drives for them. Heck, even the newer high-capacity drives are now sporting 32-meg caches in some cases.

Frankly, I find it insulting that a machine of this caliber ships with a paltry 8-meg cache drive as stock. That is why it is no longer in my Mac Pro. ;)

7. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I was a little fed up with the stock WD 320 drive, so I installed a Samsung F1 750 which has much better numbers

Attached Files: