Slow streams from Time Capsule 4th Gen.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PlutoDelic, Mar 2, 2015.

1. PlutoDelic macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Just recently i acquired the aforementioned device, for the sole reason that i could have 3 devices in one.

Initially, it serves as my Gateway, since my friendly ISP allows me to have personal devices instead of theirs. Secondly, it acts as my WiFi AP, and Finally, it is a NAS device which i really needed a lot.

I have noticed a weird behaviour when i attach 100mbit Ethernet, meaning that the peer device connected to the TC cannot handle more then 100mbit. It seems WiFi streams are way stable compared to Ethernet streams, and i am puzzled. I am a network engineer, and our nature is to troubleshoot. Network transfers are fast in Ethernet, ofc even compared to WiFi, but streams are not.

I have loaded a few 1080p videos, with different encodings, but whatever i do, via Ethernet i have buffers every 5 seconds, via WiFi every minute.

I cannot jump to any conclusion except software mis-adaption, while the TC cannot deliver directly, its Switching power remains in tact, as i can stream 1080p from two different ports to each other without a problem.

I read Apple has standardised Samba protocol (how the hell did Microsoft do this????), i suspect NFS could have been way better in this matter, and wondering if such things are possible.

PS, 5GHz Network seems limited to region, as i cant find Europe, and i cant remember 802.11a/n having different deployment from the Chip perspective, but are rather limited to channel options, any solution for this as well, most of my devices cant see the 5ghz even though they absolutely support it.

PSS, anyone witnessed any performance increase in changing the built in drive?

Sorry lads for the bombardment, i've been a reader in this community for a while, and finally had a reason to be a member.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have not noticed this type of issue with my AirPorts. Have you tried doing a full reset and what firmware are you on?

3. PlutoDelic thread starter macrumors newbie

Factory reset, not yet, i have a couple more things inside that i cant afford losing before i do anything on it (factory reset wipes everything right?).

Firmware, i updated on 7.6.4, but downgraded to 7.6.1 due to reading that it performs better.

Again, streaming vs transferring have way too much difference, that is my main concern :(.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So you are streaming files stored on the Time Capsule drive? If so to what operating system and what type of file are they?

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There may be some kind of storm on your ethernet, DHCP comes to mind. Doesn't seem to effect wireless from what I recall. What kind of device is the peer in this case?

6. PlutoDelic thread starter macrumors newbie

Two notebooks, one Mac, the other Windows, both have buffers via WiFi.

Also a Minix Neo X7, which is an Android Box, connected via Ethernet (and Wifi as a backup), the issue persists in all devices.

Can i make the TC favour NFS and not CMB? i havent tried any NFS command thus far but i did read somewhere that it is supported.

EDIT: wth, why does the Windows version of AirPort Utility have way more options to change compared to the one in OS X?????

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can use either SMB or AFP. A Mac should connect with AFP which will probably yield better performance than Windows over SMB. You can have the same features as the Windows version by using 5.6.1 for Mac here.

8. PlutoDelic thread starter macrumors newbie

So no NFS at all :(

ps, does this airport utility work in Yosemite?

thanks a lot guys for clarifying things

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

That older full feature airport utility for mac (5.6) does not work in 10.9 or 10.10. Although I think I remember reading about work arounds. I have an old macpro at 10.8 that I run all these "obsolete" apps on, so dunno.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. The launcher in that download will work on 10.9+.