Slow surfing speed but bittorrent is fast

Discussion in 'macOS' started by teohyc, Nov 14, 2008.

1. teohyc macrumors regular

teohyc

I think there's something wrong with my Mac.

The surfing speed for web pages can be extremely slow, even when I checked bittorrent download speeds to be above 25kbps.

Even for webpages like major sites like amazon.com and flickr.

Any ideas if there's any setting I need to tweak. I've tried different browsers and it's still the same.

Here are some extra info:
    - Max possible download speed 800kbps
    - Torrenting and downloading at same time. I download small items so torrent speed is typically around 25kbps
    - One other user in network. I'm using wi-fi on a Buffalo router, and cable modem.

Problem starts after surfing for a while. Maybe 10-20 minutes after logging into the network.

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

you havn't given us much information.
    - what's your max download speed?
    - are you torrenting and surfing at the same time?
    - are there other users on the network?
    - what type of internet do you have? router? wi-fi or ethernet?

have you tried changing the default DNS servers?

try using OpenDNS's servers, see if that speeds up your web browsing.

here are the instructions for Leopard - https://www.opendns.com/smb/start/device/apple-osx-leopard

and for Tiger - https://www.opendns.com/smb/start/device/apple-osx-tiger

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

go to speedtest.net and check your speeds

but then it could be your router or ISP
    you need to tell us more info like

ISP
    type of connection
    router
    etc

4. teohyc thread starter macrumors regular

teohyc

Thanks guys.

I've updated more information at the first post.

5. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I just went through the exact same thing, but on my Windows Server 2003 file server/BitTorrent box. The culprit? My router firmware wasn't allowing enough simultaneous connections and was taking too long to timeout.

I have the DD-WRT firmware loaded on a Linkysys WRT54G, so these settings are easily modified. I'm honestly not sure if these are typical settings available in most stock router firmwares. However, I understand it's very easy to put DD-WRT on Buffalo routers, so you might want to seriously consider that.

All I did was bumped up the "Maximum Connections" option from 512 to the maximum of 4096. I also decreased the TCP and UDP timeout from something I don't remember to 90. In uTorrent, I also reduced the maximum connections per torrent to 100 I believe.

This made a HUGE difference. Prior to making these changes, I literally couldn't browse the Internet if uTorrent was running on the file server, even if nothing was being downloaded.