Slow Syncing iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wicked1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Anyone else have this issue?

Everytime I connect my Wife's stock basic iPad 16GB with 4.2 to my MacBook it takes forever to backup the iPad and then Sync. I have now decided only to Sync it once a week or less because of the slow sync?

Maybe there is something I am missing?

2. sandman42, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Do you have lots photos on the iPad that are not sync'ed with your computer? I know someone who had a problem with outrageously long backup times, and Apple told him it was due to the quantity of un-sync'ed photos. He had 3-4 Gb of photos that he'd loaded onto the iPad using the camera connection kit. Once he loaded them onto the iPad by syncing them with his computer (set up through iTunes) the problem went away.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Let it backup one time all the way. After that first time it shouldn't take long.

4. WLS macrumors 65816

here's a suggestion. I developed the same problem and my iPad was taking 4-6 hours to sync. I tried a bunch of things and then realized that I was not using the sync cord that came with my iPad but an older one I had picked up , apparently the iPad one was a USB 2.0 and the other was not. Once I changed to the correct USB cable my syncing returned to a normal time range.
    Might want to check that.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

+1.

What you're referring to is the USB 1.1 cord - in my experience the iPad failed to recognize it so I fail to understand how it sync'd for you; however, your time frame makes sense for a 1.1 cord.

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think this is my problem bc I am using a Cable from an old Nano, and I do not have a lot of Music, Photos, or Videos on this device.

I will try this when I get home, hopefully this is it.