Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donaghy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Hi all,

I've created a data entry form using a table view with custom cells. My custom cells are simple cells that contain a label and a textfield or textview. Though i find my table is very slow and "sticky" when scrolling. Is this typical or is there a better working solution for something like this?

Thanks.

Sykte

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Code will help. Are you using DequeueReusableCell? What do you mean by custom cells, this could mean many things.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Some reasons are

images in the cells, especially loaded from a remote source,
loading data from a database, slowly
loading the cells from nibs,
other complicated drawing in the cells,
use of UITextViews in your cells
variable height rows
creating a new cell every time

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Some reasons are

images in the cells, especially loaded from a remote source,
loading data from a database, slowly
loading the cells from nibs,
other complicated drawing in the cells,
use of UITextViews in your cells
variable height rows
creating a new cell every time
Don't forget non-opaque subviews! :)

donaghy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2009
Ok i am loading cells from nibs and using textfields and textviews. I'll try creating the cells programmatically and see if that has any improvement.

bredell

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
The most important thing is to reuse your table cells. If you have complex cells with lots of info it's probably a good idea to create a custom UIView subclass and do all the drawing yourself.

The WWDC videos have a session on how to improve your table view performance.

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
Does anyone have a pointer to a good reference (or WWDC video) of how to use InterfaceBuilder with UITableView?

It seems I can do very little to create/format cells in a UITableView via IB. I was hoping for more visual control in this area as iOS matures. There is a UITableCell visual item in IB, but I can't find much info on how to use it. It seems all the Apple examples create all sections/cells in code rather than visually in IB. I am so sick of that default list that is displayed in IB (California, etc.)! :eek:

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.