Slow Time Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by feliperubin, Dec 28, 2014.

1. feliperubin macrumors newbie

Hey guys trying to do a Backup with Time Machine for the first time but it's so slow, like this is not normal.

It took me 11 hours to get 56 GB on the external HD (connected on my mac)

How can i make it faster? Already tried to go to safe boot and get back.

Specifications:

MacBook Pro 13-inch late 2011
    16GB RAM
    500GB HD
    Intel HD 3000
    OSX Yosemite

Trying to backup on:
    WD 250GB
    It's a 200GB Backup.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is definitely slow, especially when connected to a USB drive. The first run is slow but, it shouldn't be that slow. I don't have an answer for you. Hopefully, someone else has an idea. I have read numerous complaints online about Yosemite and Time Machine. Even after the first run, I still think it is slower than with Mavericks or even Mountain Lion.

I have the same Mac. If the USB drive is a 7200 rpm, your backup should have been completely done already.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

That doesn't surprise me at all. USB is slow, and it's the first backup. Subsequent backups will be quicker. Just be patient.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

56GB in 11 hours? I can do an entire 200 GB backup to usb HD 7200 rpm in that amount of time using Time Machine on the same machine.

I can also backup the same amount of data using the same equipment with CCC in half the amount of time.

USB is not that slow.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

It is slow, sure. But there is probably nothing to do about it except to be patient. You can't always assume there are problems. Sometimes our expectations are incorrect. Time machine is moving hundreds of thousands of files, and we know nothing about the WD drive he is using.

6. feliperubin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's an ordinary WD drive 250GB

By now i think it's ok because it will be taking 22~24 hours to get the 200GB done.

All I did was just turn off the Spotlight in the HD