Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ADKM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
I have a macbook pro and a number of Windows computers connected via LAN/wifi. When Opening Finder-Network it can take some minutes for the Windows machine to show in the list. Can this be sped up?
Also can I make a shortcut to a device and open it from the desktop?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Also can I make a shortcut to a device and open it from the desktop?
You could create an AppleScript and save it as an App that you double-click.
This instantly mounts your network share and opens it in a new Finder window:
AppleScript:
tell application "Finder" to mount volume ("smb://TheUserName@192.168.x.xxx/TheShare")
tell application "Finder" to open ("TheShare")
On the app/script you can paste a custom icon if you like. I pinned my universal mounting-script directly onto the Finder:
custom.Finder.App.jpg

ADKM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
Thanks arw. I should have added I am very new with Macs and do not know how to apply/create an AppleScript.
It sounds a good idea though. If possible an you give an example of TheUserName and TheShare? I think I can get the IP address okay. In the Network list it shows as jill-pc. (which may be TheUserName?).

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
"TheUserName" represents the Windows user that shared the volume or is set for the network share to have access.
"TheShare" is the name of the directory you shared in Windows.
On your Mac, open Scripteditor (Applications > Utilities > Scripteditor) and create a new file.
Paste the two lines with the correct values, a.e.: (assuming the Windows user is named "Jill" and the shared directory is "HomeMovies")
AppleScript:
tell application "Finder" to mount volume ("smb://Jill@jill-pc/HomeMovies")
tell application "Finder" to open ("HomeMovies")
By pressing the "Play" triangle you can test the script. Confirm the pop-ups, enter the password the Windows share has and select "save password in keychain". Then test the script again.
If it works, you can select "Export... > File type: App" and save it on your desktop.

I prefer entering the IP of the PC instead of the name but this requires a static IP and not DHCP.

Last edited:

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
You can also simply make an alias (shortcut) and leave it on your desktop. That can get a bit confusing if you show mounted shares on the desktop too...as you will see 2: both the alias and the mounted share.

Another way is with the share mounted on the desktop, drag it to the Dock (on the right side, with the folders), or drag it to the Finder sidebar. Both of these make an alias (shortcut) which you can click on to mount the share.

If you also check the box to remember the password, the share should just mount without the prompt enter name/password.

Tip: On the Dock icon (once saved) right click and select -

Display As: Folder
View Content As: List

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.