Slow to delete firefox history

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Man0waR2012, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Man0waR2012 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am using firefox on my MBP (early 2011), it works great except it takes ages to delete the history.(I cannot do anything else while deleting except enjoying a nice and spinning rainbow disk). I tried to uninstall and reinstall firefox (with no extensions), I deleted my profile, I tried different firefox versions (15, 16). I had the issue on Lion and now Mountain Lion too. I don't know if it is normal or not. I understand that deleting completely the history of a few weeks might take a while, however even deleting a daily history takes a long time. I don't find my MBP particularly slow, I have never installed from scratch OSX though, but I don't experience other issues. Are there any firefox users who could confirm this ?

Thanks

2. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I don't have this issue. I just tried clearing a month's worth of history and it was almost instantaneous.

You could try setting Firefox to "Clear history when Firefox closes" and see if frequent deletion like that works for you. There's also a "Never remember history" setting, but that's just puts you in a constant private browsing mode.

3. Man0waR2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. I will try to do what you suggested. Is your system running on a SSD or normal HD ? Do you think a clean install of ML could improve this kind of thing ?

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I just swapped out my HD for an SSD a couple of months ago, but history deletion worked the same on both (I upgraded to ML when I installed the SSD).

You could always try a clean install of ML, but I'm not really sure if that would make a difference since you said you're not experiencing any other issues with ML. The next step might be to see if you still have the problem in safe mode.

5. Man0waR2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to reset firefox in safe mode. It seems faster now to delete the history (in safe mode and normal too). I am wondering if some websites are storing a lot of information which would explain the issue. I'll try to check the size of my history. Thanks a lot.