Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
This is not a major problem. I wouldn't even say it's annoying. It's just a curiosity.

My dual 1ghz MDD takes 20-30 seconds to sleep from the time I touch the power button or click sleep from the apple menu. This started when I first installed Panther in October. I tried unmounting all drives except for the startup drive, turned off "receive faxes" and turned off anything else I could think of that might have to shut down before sleep. No dice. If I sleep from the login menu or another user account it goes to sleep instantly, just like it did in Jaguar.

I have other Macs which all have 10.3.2 and really similar software, and they all sleep normally. I do have APE/clear dock on my MDD, but I had it on Jag too and all the other Macs have it.

Any idea where I should look next?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I noticed that same issue on my PM G4 Dual 450. Never really timed it though. Only noticed it because I was used to using OS 9 where sleep was almost instantaneous. It was the wake up from sleep that took time. So I guess that its a trade off. In X the wake up is almost instantaneous.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I've noticed the same thing on my 1 GHz iMac since installing Panther last October. I don't use Sleep anymore since it seems to screw things up so its not an issue for me anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.