slow torrent downloads bt home hub

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adambuthead, Jul 6, 2008.

1. adambuthead macrumors newbie

Hello my first mac so please talk to me as if im an idiot i have a iMac 7.1 intel core duo running mac osx 10.5.4(9e17) everything is fine awesome machine exept i live in the middle of knowhere so my internet is fairly slow to be nice about it i just wondered if there is any settings for the mac or the hub to speed things up as best i can i know nothing about this and would need step by step guidence please help

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

4. adambuthead thread starter macrumors newbie

type of internet

i have bt broad band does that answer you or have i misunderstood also is it normal for torrents to grind to a halt or is this beceasu im out in the country with only a thread of broadband to use

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Firstly, BT broadband is reputed to be one of the worst deals in the UK. Why did you get broadband from BT?

What program are you using to download the torrents? I'd recommend Transmission, but I'm sure others are okay too. In your program, look in the settings to find which port it is using to transmit and receive data. Transmission tells you if this port is 'open' on your router or not. If it's not, or your program doesn't tell you, go to your router's setup page and set it to forward that port to your computer's IP address (open network utility on your Mac and you'll find it somewhere under en-something interface, probably starts with 192.168.xxx.xxx

What speed broadband do you have? There are various sites online that will check your download/upload speed - then download a really popular torrent for a while (e.g. a major Linux distro) and see what speeds you're getting.

Hope that helps.
    Jonathan.

6. adambuthead thread starter macrumors newbie

very helpfull thanks

ive checked the ports they are open ive narrowed the trouble down to my broadband and where i live i now know bt are a rip off but am tied in for 18months so ill be back for advice on broadband in around 18 months time thanks for all your help