Slow transfers on Airport N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GreatOldOne, Sep 3, 2008.

1. GreatOldOne macrumors member

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my network to run as dual band - N for most of the kit, G for my iPhone.

It's setup like this:

Netgear Wireless Router, In built Wireless set to G, SSID = "Network_G" DHCP on

Airport Express 'N', Cabled to the Netgear, Bridge Mode, 5Ghz only on Channel 48, Wideband on, Multi cast set to maximum, SSID = "Network_N"

Airport Express 'N', wirelessly extending "Network_N", 5Ghz only on Channel 48, Wideband on, Multi cast set to maximum. Acts as Airtunes in my lounge

Aiport Extreme Base Station, wirelessly wirelessly extending "Network_N", 5Ghz only on Channel 48. My Mac Mini and WD Mybook World are plugged into the built in switch.

My Macbook Pro & My Wife's Macbook connect wirelessly to "Network_N"

Everything talks to each other fine (everything has an IP address from the Netgear, and I can see everything on the network), but there are some oddities.

I did a test copying a folder (120ish Mb) from my MBP to and from a shared drive on the Mini. Copying it to the mini took about 00:01:45, but copying it back took almost 4 mins. I've tried this several times to make sure it wasn't a one off aberation, but it's consistantly slow in one direction (Mini -> MBP)

Have I missed something? I can't set any options on the wireless tab of the AEBS - hitting the options button just brings up an empty options panel - on the Expresses, I get the option to select wideband in the same panel (which I have)

It was all set up using the airport assitant, apart from choosing a new channel as it initially set it to auto (channel 36).

Is this normal behaviour? Or am I expecting too much from my new kit?

Ta,

Jason

2. GreatOldOne thread starter macrumors member

Ok - looking in the network utility, I can see that I'm getting 130Mbit when the network is extended wirelessly, So etending the network is reducing the available bandwidth.

I've been told that extending the network via an ethernet cable would help, but as the AEBS and the Netgear Router only have 100Mbit wired ports, is there any point to wire them up and extend that way? That's effectively less than the wirelessly extended setup I have now.

Is there any way to have the AEBS just join the network, but still allow the Mini and the NAS access to the network, and allow the Mini onto the internet? I've tried to do this, but I loose sight of the shared drives on both - so either I've got something wrong in the settings, or it isn't possible.

Please let me know.

Ta,

Jason