Slow Transmission Speeds.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caris, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Hey guys my Transmission speeds are crawling since i got my MBP. There going no more than 40kbs each. Is there some settings that i can check that might speed them up or anything? I have ran my MBP through my router and modem and there the same. I've also tried Ethernet and Wireless no luck.

I didn't have this problem with my iMac so i don't know why with my MBP :(

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Are your ports open? Firewall on/off? Do you receive a "port is open?"

Attached Files:

3. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I came home for the weekend from school and for some reason I can't get anything to download/upload on Transmission at home and I am forwarding the port and all. Hope it works when I get back to school.

Anyone else have this problem and know how to solve it?

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

5. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

oh so that would be why it works at school but not at home? anyway to fix that?

also, should I download Peer Guardian 2 for my Transmission? If i download that how do I install it and make sure it works? thanks.

6. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

are ur torrents seeded?
    try multiple torrents. to test what ur speeds are.

try this telus site

http://speedtest.telushosting.com/

and check what ur down speed is. if it's above 40kbs, then it's obviously the torrent...

update ur transmission?

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Not really, unless you change ISP.

8. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

make sure you have people seeding what you're trying to download

9. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

The Port is open but other times its closed. Also yeah it's updated, people are seeding etc. They were at about 80-100kbs for a short while last night so it might just been the Torrent i guess.

10. lostalice macrumors newbie

How do I open a closed port?

I'm trying to do the same thing, to increase my download speed with transmission. My port is turned off. How do I turn it on? Do I have to do some obsure commands with the terminal? :confused:

I'm running mac os x 10.5.

Thanks!!

L.

Attached Files:

11. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

if the port is closed, the most likely thing is that either a firewall or most often if you are using a router, that the router is blocking the port.

if you're not using a router and are getting internet strait from your modem then it's your firewall that is blocking the port.

if you're using a router then the router is blocking the port.

you have to go to your router and allow the port being block.
    ie. port 1234

to get into your router settings, read the manual .

i dont really remember how i got to my router settings. but i know i jsut type my ip in my browser and there i am.

find out ur routers ip and type it into your web browser and it should take you to your router settings.

12. fedemomix macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have the same problem but the speeds are never higher than 2-3 k.
    Doyou have idea of what could it be?

thanks a lot

13. n00basaur macrumors regular

You could also just use uTorrent for mac. Never had a problem with it when it came to ports and stuff which is why I stopped using Transmission. I just make sure uPnP is on and it works no problemo.

14. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I don't know about all of you - but Vuze, with all it's bloatware seems to download much faster than any other tool on the mac. I have no idea why.

I like the cleanliness of Transmission, but It's like following a driver from Wisconsin...

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seed faster. i wouldnt worry too much about it. it will speed up when there is a better ratio.

ever used bits on wheels?? that thing is good!

16. windels macrumors regular

windels

I had the same problem , it whent away when I removed little snitch...

17. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Transmission and Vuze can't compete with uTorrent for it-just-works usability.

18. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Transmission has worked perfectly for me. Most problems IMHO are to do with ports not being open on routers or firewall settings. Also, it's a great idea to give your Mac a static IP and then open the port you need on your router just for that IP. :cool:

19. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

Could someone please explain to me what ports are?

20. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

its one of two things: either the torrent isnt being seeded as it should be :mad: or your ISP is throttling your traffic:mad::mad::mad:. Just wondering who is your ISP? If its Rogers, Hughes.net, Verizon or one of the other ones out there, its most likely the latter.

21. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

it's like a door.
    every application has a door to the internet.
    warcraft
    starcraft
    transmission
    limewire
    etc.

if the door is closed the internet will have trouble getting through.
    if you have a router, the default is that all the "doors" are closed.
    so you have to go into your router and open the doors. ie. ports need to be open.

my ISP is Telus.
    I figured it out.. it was a combo of my port and the torrent..
    because i'm pushing around 500kb/s

22. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Transmission is just slow. When I'm in Boot Camp/Win7, same computer, same router, using uTorrent I easily get 2-3 MB/s. In OS X with Transmission, configured correctly (the assigned port is listed as open in the preferences) and with identical settings for min/max speed up and down, the exact same torrents take 3-4 times longer. It's not merely due to the lower peak speed (it maxes out around 1 MB/s), the real problem is that the speed is so inconsistent. In uTorrent on PC it starts out slow and then it just climbs and climbs and *boom*, the file is home. In Transmission you can take a glance and it shows 800 kB/s, not too shabby, but five seconds later it's down to 25 kB/s and stays there for minutes.

The difference is less pronounced when you're downloading some old torrent with more seeders than leechers, then it's almost as fast as uT, but when you're with thousands of others fighting over a torrent that was just released, it's as if uTorrent on Windows somehow elbows its way to the front of the line, while Transmission on OS X gets trampled by everyone else and has to wait in the back of the line until the concert is nearly over.

23. Tbutts, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

Tbutts macrumors newbie

I'm new to this.. transmission problem?

Hi everyone, i'm a girl & new to all of this lol I am hoping to maybe get some help? My transmission was working fine until somehow my upload & download KB/s were at 0.. I clicked on it & it started back up again, but now it's only downloading at around 40k.. is there something more I need to check to make sure it's downloading as fast as it should be? I've never had this problem before. A 80MB file is taking WAY longer than usual.. help? Thanks! :eek:

O & don't think my username is weird lol it's my last name.. i didn't realize it'd post that

So if someone can help me on how to change my username now that'd be a huge help also lol thx!

24. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

I don't think there's a way to change username....The only way is to make another account.

Or, you can just be proud of the name ".butts". There is nothing wrong with butts.

25. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I love transmission, way better than utorrent and vuse....ninety nine times out of 100 if youre getting slow download speeds its the torrent.