slow transmission speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macme29, Jul 21, 2008.

1. macme29 macrumors newbie

i wanted to know if i had a problem with my router and if i need to forward ports or nething to get my transmission running at faster speeds. i'm now running about 50kbps average. pretty terrible it seems. please help

2. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Transmission will tell you, in the preferences menu, if the current used port is open or closed (stealthed).

Check to see if it is already open. Maybe I'm just used to having slow speeds, but 50kb/s is pretty average for me WITH the port opened.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Certain ISP's throttle bittorrents, or so I've heard.

4. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

The download speeds in Transmission vary greatly depending on what's being downloaded, and how many seeds/leeches there are with that torrent, among other things (ISP connection, how many torrents are you d/ling, etc).

As long as you're getting some data to your computer, then no port forwarding is required. Port forwarding is only needed if you're getting nothing sent to you.

50kb/s, while it may be a bit slow, isn't unheard of for unpopular torrents. Also, when first starting up a torrent that has 1000's of seeds, it may take a bit of time for the d/l speed to ramp up as more connections are made, etc.

5. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

It's not up to Transmission and you to get faster speeds it is the Seeders/Leechers speeds that give you the top amount you can D/L at.

6. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

hen grab a torrent file of Open Office (they have lots of seeds, and always max out my connection) from here to test.

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

You'll find out real quick if you have an issue with downloading. Like I said, it should max out your download limit. Most likely ur speed issue has more to do with what you're downloading, rather than your setup. If you're trying to get something that has a ton of seeders and not as many leechers, it's gonna be a slow ride.

7. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I tend to get a lot of this: uploading to 12, downloading from 0. I though the whole point of peer-to-peer was that everybody shares? I'm not in this to be a charity.

Or, I get "downloading from 4, 0.0KB/s" while my upload is constant.

OK, some of these are on unpopular files, but if everybody's getting a little piece from me, shouldn't I get a little piece from everyone?

The other thing I've noticed with Transmission: if I change the upload rate, my download speed tends to surge, then fall back down. If I sit around continually fooling with the thing, I could get a good speed - but I have better uses for the 24 hrs. in my day. It's almost like the thing "falls asleep" unless I'm prodding it. Any ideas?

I've tried all the port forwarding nonsense, and not sure if it has any effect. I'd ask at the Transmission forums, but every post there is a "why do my download speeds suck?" question, followed by a rude answer from their groupies.