Slow typing in Mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brooklands, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Brooklands macrumors newbie

Mail basically is running alright, but when I type in the body of a message, it takes forever. Typing is fine in other programs, so I am at a loss for figuring this out. Since I only have been back in the Mac environment for a bit over a month, I am struggling to relearn the ins and outs of maintaining my iMac.

Thanks for all help.
    Dave
    www.reesed.com

Attached Files:

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Sounds like Mail is running out of resources (which is odd given your system specs and the fact none of my machines do that, not even my old G4) - what other programs do you have running at the same time as Mail (Does it occur for example if you only have Mail.app open??)

3. Brooklands, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

Brooklands thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens even if Mail is the only program running. As soon as I try to highlight text in the body of the email, the beachball arrives, and if I open the Activity Monitor, the CPU is around 100% and the program is listed as not responding.

But I have discovered that with no signature, the program seems to be working better. Now to figure out why this is happening...

4. Brooklands thread starter macrumors newbie

I was doing a today in history item in my signature daily. When I finally copied my signature in the text editor, I found hundreds of blank lines which were not appearing in the formatted signature, so I deleted that one and created a new one, and everything seems to be running well now. I will work on a method to keep this from happening in the future...

Sorry for coming up with this problem of my own making.

5. Garzo macrumors newbie

I suddenly have the same problem today, out of the blue. Mail has always run fine but typing today has become painfully slow. The only other programs I have running are Word and Safari, and they are fine. Writing in Word is fine. Actually, writing this post I notice the typing is a bit slow, but not as bad as Mail.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. UncleGuido, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

UncleGuido macrumors newbie

If what you are seeing is a delay between keystrokes and the characters appearing in the message window, then this is an unresolved problem seen by a lot of Yosemite Mail users (including me). There is a long thread about it in the Apple Support Communities.

Update: I just noticed that the original post was made in 2010 from someone running OS X 10.6.5. In that case, the problem might be different from what people are experiencing in Yosemite.

7. yannhaur, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

yannhaur macrumors newbie

Hi!

I know this an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I have been having a similar problem with only one my Mail conversations.

As a Chinese speaker, the recipient was typing in Traditional Chinese and I in Simplified Chinese.
    After a while, I realized that the slow typing was because of both languages being written together (in the same body) - if I deleted the previous quoted messages, I could type normally.

So, for some of you having slow-typing problem, maybe it is also related to this bilingual encoding issue?

I wonder if there is any fix, aside from deleting the quoted messages.
    If anyone finds out, please let me know.

Cheers!