Slow/unresponsive SSD with Optibay in MBP 13 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kz123, Jul 28, 2011.

1. kz123, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

kz123 macrumors newbie

I just installed a cheap optibay (made by nimitz on ebay) with a 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD in my Macbook Pro 13 (2010). I've got a 500gb hitachi HDD in my main drive slot. I formatted the SSD and installed a fresh copy of Lion onto the SSD from the HDD. Afterwards, it took more than 2 minutes to bootup and each app I loaded took well over 30 seconds to load, often making the system unresponsive for that period of time.

I thought it might be a problem with the SATA connection, or the connection from the Optibay to the logic board so I opened it up and disconnected and reconnected those cables. After I did that, the computer took the expected 13ish seconds to boot, but when trying to open apps still took well over the expected time to load.

I did a second reinstall of Lion, this time using a bootable usb drive and got the same results. When running DiskSpeedTest I consistently get write times of ~210 mb/s and read times of ~250mb/s, however, when trying to copy a large file to the ssd, I see lots of hangups (copies some data, then stops, then copies some data, then stops, etc.).

I have also tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM using the command-option-p-r on bootup method but doing so made the keyboard and trackpad unresponsive at the login screen.

I'm wondering now if it's something I did wrong in the installation, a problem with the SSD, or issue with the logic board's connection to the Optibay. Any input is appreciated!

EDIT: Does anyone know if it's a problem with the SSD not getting enough power? I think I am going to swap the SSD to the main drive slot and the HDD in the optibay tonight to see if that does anything.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Have you selected the SSD as your startup disk in System Preferences?

3. kz123, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

kz123 thread starter macrumors newbie