Slow usb transfer on alubook 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Beanlok, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

I have searched the forums, but all related topics seem to be inconclusive or not applicable. I just finished copying 2gb of files from my macbook to a Lexar 8gb flash drive. It took about 12 minutes. I then immediately ejected the drive, inserted it into my iMac, and copied the files over, it took a little over 2 minutes. A 700mb file being transferred right now from my macbook to a different Sandisk flash drive. It took about 3 minutes. This rules out the peripherals right? All speeds where from a direct connection of drive and usb port (no hubs). So why is my macbook so slow transferring over usb?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That isn't particularly slow for a flash drive.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

2GB in 12min= 2.84MBps= ~23Mbps. 700MB in 3min= 3.88MBps= ~31Mbps. Those aren't particularly bad write speeds for a thumbdrive. Mind you the file sizes affect write speeds as well. Many small files takes more time than a single large one.

If you're concern is the difference between read and write, in my experience, USB thumbdrives can be read from WAY WAY WAY faster than they can be written to.