Slow Video Performance/Graphics on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alala23, Apr 29, 2010.

1. alala23 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I was hoping I could get some help o here with a problem I've been having recently.

I have a 2009 2.53GHz MacBook Pro which I bought a couple months ago. It's been working great, but lately, I've been noticing a lot of strange issues with video playback/general graphics and UI. These includes:

- Laggy video performance, frame skipping, generally 2x slow video -- on both iTunes and web video. It's not as smooth as it used to be, though admittedly not totally unbarable
    - VLC shows a black screen, doesn't show the video
    - Randomly pixelated icons in the dock (it's almost like the Mac picks a new one everyday to pixelate), dock animation not 100% smooth, although fairly good (not sure if it used to be this way)
    - When I increase/decrease the volume or move my mouse so that the playback or volume controllers popup in iTunes or a video player, I notice they very laggily fade out, and they have squared edges rather than being smooth/rounded as when they appear when they fade out. This is only when there's video behind them -- for example the volume controller fades out normally when there isn't.

It seems like a general problem with video playback and not my whole graphics card, as indicated by a successful Apple Hardware Test and the fact that Photoshop runs and works as normal. Everything else works as normal.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

2. alala23 thread starter macrumors newbie

...and lo' and behold, I just updated from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3, and the problem was fixed! Turns out, I wasn't able to update in the last few weeks because everytime I would try to do it, my screen would become scrambled -- the Snow Leopard wallpaper would split up into pieces and muddle up -- so presuming it was stuck, I'd have to restart it. This time I unchecked all pending updates but 10.6.3 and just left it going, and it was updated.

The video playback is back, dock animation is back, and everything seems to be working as normal! Oh, how I've missed these things. :)