Slow Video Ripping Caused by 10.6.7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by martinm0, May 27, 2011.

1. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I ran into some extremely slow video ripping from an external Samsung SH-B123L BD drive when I upgraded to a 2011 27" i7 iMac and have traced it back to using 10.6.7.

I've been backing up my Blu-rays using Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper for Mac and noticed it was taking 2-2.5 hrs to complete on the iMac which was much longer than it was taking on my Hackintosh the iMac replaced. I checked Activity Monitor for read speeds and noticed it pretty steady at 4MB/s. Thinking this was strange, I started doing some testing.

I went back and tested the BD drive on the Hackintosh (running 10.6.6) and found the speeds backing up a BD movie were 20-30MB/s. From there I updated the Hackintosh to 10.6.7 and ran a backup and sure enough it was steady at ~4MB/s just as on the iMac.

Not satisfied with stopping there, I wanted to test this out on true mac hardware. The iMac ships with 10.6.7, so I turned to my 2011 MBP and did a fresh install to 10.6.6 on a spare drive and tested another backup. Low and behold it ran at around 20-30MB/s.

I've confirmed in my situation that both external and internal BD drives seem to be reduced significantly under 10.6.7 vs 10.6.6. Its not Riplock, as the drive functions at full speeds under 10.6.6. Additionally, this seems specific to video files and video ripping -- while testing I tried different file types and found only video files were throttled while MP3's and other generic files transferred at faster speeds.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar with overly slow video rips from external drives? I'm a bit baffled by this revelation at the moment.

2. Nessaj macrumors newbie

Nessaj

Pavtube has just released a new version to fix the problem of slow Bluray reading. Check their website for updating..

3. martinm0, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

martinm0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Nessaj, but that update is for the Windows version and not the Mac. And in either case, its not the application that appears to be the issue as it works fine under 10.6.6. It is something with 10.6.7 that is slowing it down no matter what application (or Finder) you use.