Slow Wakeup when on AC issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlusk99, May 6, 2013.

1. jlusk99 macrumors member

I bought my 15 inch Macbook Pro classic in late January. A few weeks after getting it, I started getting the issue in which it took a long time to wake up in the morning when it was plugged in overnight. The screen would be gray and there would be a progress bar at the bottom. Even when the screen went back to "full color" I still had no trackpad function for several seconds and noticed only when the clock updated to the correct time did full functionality return.

This happened for several months, but I've noticed within the last couple weeks, it has stopped happening. I did not make any changes to the sleep settings as many others had talked about on this and other forums. Several people on the forum seemed convinced that it happened with the 10.8.2 update, with Apple explaining it was to comply with some type of European power saving standard. 10.8.3 did not remedy the situation.

The only change I've made to my machine was upgrading the RAM to 16GB, but the slow wakeup thing disappeared before that.

Can anyone else who had this problem report on if you're still experiencing it? Curious as to what made it stop as I am unaware of any updates since 10.8.3, and like I said I didn't make any changes to my settings. One other thing I did do was change from a Linksys router to a Time Capsule. Could that have something to do with it? Thinking back I seem to remember it ceasing to occur around the time I changed routers. Could that be it? And if so why?

On an unrelated note, I upgraded to 16GB RAM about a week ago and it has been great. Since then, I have had exactly 2 beach balls only for maybe a millisecond each. Everything is smoother and snappier. Activity monitor shows 0 page out since installation a week ago, with only 23.3MB swaps. Interestingly, I am currently showing system memory usage of 8.79GB with only iTunes, Firefox, and Activity Monitor open. Why so high? Makes me glad I went with the 16GB.

2. johnnnw, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

The grey bars are normal, you don't mention how long it takes from grey bars to colour but if it's not a ton of time that isn't unusual.

You also mention that after you see full colour it's only a few seconds until you have functionality of the trackpad?

That is not unusual at all. It's not instant. Mine used to take even longer actually.

I believe it also depends on how much you left off with before it slept because it needs to restart those things. I could be wrong on this but I noticed it would take longer when I had a lot of stuff open previously to it sleeping. (this paragraph could be totally wrong, either way the rest remains true)

RAM upgrade will likely not improve wake up speeds at all. What caused me to see a difference in wake up time was when I upgraded my hdd to an sdd.

I know the wake up can seem a little long. But again a few seconds from "full colour" to being able to type is not bad at all.

You should time your total wakeup time. From the moment you start the waking process to the time when you have typing and movement functionality. See how long it is.

3. jlusk99 thread starter macrumors member

Johnnnw, you must have missed the part where I said this is NOT happening anymore. It just seemed to quit all on it's own. Before it was taking about 15 - 20 seconds, but now it is pretty much instant on.

The only time I notice it takes a few seconds for my screen to turn on is if I open it back up right after closing it. I notice if the "sleep" light is still lit it will take a few seconds.

Believe me, I'm not complaining, I'm just curious how this could have happened. The only thing that has changed since it started happening was me going from a Linksys router to a Time Capsule. I am almost positive it quit happening before I updated the RAM, so I don't think that's it. Otherwise I have not made any changes to my machine.