Slow Web Browsing, Looking Up... Stuck

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itisme1760, Mar 9, 2009.

1. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I've had my Unibody Macbook Pro 2.53Ghz since November and the internet has been working fine for me until these last 2 - 3 weeks in which it has been bugging me a lot.

Every website I visit, there is a long, "Looking Up... [X].com" for at least 10-20 seconds before the site is reached, and then a long "Transferring Data..." period before things start to come up.

So I thought, my ISP DNS servers are not up to par, so I switched to OpenDNS and put those DNS numbers in my router as well as on my computer and I still did not notice anything changing.

So i thought it might have been the almighty Firefox. I switched to Safari, still the same thing, a good 10 - 20 seconds before the site is fully loaded.

I then switched over to Bootcamp Windows XP, and found that Firefox there runs fine. All pages load lightening fast and no trace of a Looking Up bug on the XP side.

I Google more things about Mozilla or Safari running slow in Mac OS X and find this, Type in Terminal the DNS flush cache script. I do so, and reboot, but still have this problem!!!

What can I do to resolve this fellow MacRumors users!!! I hate surfing the web on Mac OS X, it's a pain and even my iTunes downloads are slowed.

2. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

3. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I am running on WiFi. Even moving closer to the base station, it doesn't work. I'm thinking it might be the WEP encryption I put on earlier, when I noticed the problem. WEP encryption, however, shouldn't slow down the speed.

4. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

Couple of things to try.

Connect directly to the router to isolate if it's a WiFi problem with our Mac configuration.
    Create a test account on the mac and see if that makes any difference

regardless of the problem I would use WPA2 instead of WEP.

If WEP is the last thing you did you could try running your WiFi in the clear to test.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Try it on another wifi network if same,
    schedule appointment with genius bar.

Did you happen to install "codec" for adult videos?