Slow wi-fi on Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sysyphus, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Sysyphus macrumors newbie

This is not inteneded as a bitch, moan or complaint, just a genuine plea for help from anyone who can point me in the right direction as to whether I need to tweak something on my iPhone, router or whatever, or if I maybe have a defective phone.

Running speedtest I have never managed to get anything higher than 1.00Mb download from my iPhone over wi-fi using a Linksys WRT-310N router on my comcast internet connection. My laptop gets close to 20Mb every time anywhere in the house, and my iPod touch always tops 12Mb down. Curiously my iPhone does manage to top 4Mb upload most every time, doing slightly better than my iPod touch, which usually manages about 3.5 up.

I actually get better download speeds over 3G than wifi. :confused:

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

sounds like you have a problem with your modem/router. i really dont think its a defective phone though

3. robmac macrumors newbie

At least for troubleshooting purposes, I'd suggest setting your router to "G-only" or "B/G only" and seeing if that makes a difference. I had a similar issue earlier this week when I got my iPhone, and believe its an issue with the kernel module I'm running on my router right now (custom firmware). Also, I don't know how old that router you have is, but until recently a lot of N routers were made before the standard was finalized.

If setting to G-only does fix it, I'd suggest looking for a firmware update from the manufacturer if theres one available. You could always get an Airport Express to be sure the router is compatible if it does turn out to be an issue.

I haven't had time to tinker with mine yet, so I've just left it set on G for the time being. I'm currently getting about 15/8 Mbps on my iPhone over G. The download is limited by the wifi/phone and the upload limited by my connection. For reference, my router is a WNDR3700 w/ OpenWRT on it.

Attached Files:

4. robmac macrumors newbie

I just reread your post, and the iPod touch cued me in to thinking it's likely a Wireless-N issue. If your iPod touch is any older than the latest version, it is only wireless b/g. If it is the latest one, then I it should have the same wifi chipset as the iPhone 4, so I'm at a loss about why they'd perform differently. My hunch is you have an iPod Touch Gen 3 or older.

5. Sysyphus thread starter macrumors newbie

Boy am I a dumbass: immediately after posting I thought to myself "when was the last time I checked the router firmware?". While you were posting your replies I hopped over to linksys, pulled down and applied the latest firmware: I'm now getting 17 down and 4.5 up :D ... like I wasn't delighted already... I've been in the tech business for more than 20 years: haven't been this excited about a tech purchase I made for myself since I got my first Tivo.

Sorry for wasting your time, but thanks for the help anyway

6. robmac macrumors newbie

No problem at all, I'm glad you got it fixed! Maybe someone with a similar problem will run into this thread in the future. I'm loving my new Verizon iPhone too!