Slow WiFi after 4.2 iOS Update

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LNYMRKO, Dec 1, 2010.

1. LNYMRKO macrumors regular

Since 4.2 iOS Update, WiFi connection on my iPad is considerably slower. General web browsing takes forever, and it's not even worth bothering with YouTube, that was slow enough before the update.

MacBook Pro and iMac on the same WiFi are quick as usual (decent internet connection), just seems the iPad itself is almost unusably slow.

Was wondering if there were any fixes for this? (disabling notifications etc had no effect for me) Or is it possible to downgrade back to 3.x ? Don't really want to do that, but if it means its useable again then I don't have much choice!

2. siebkens macrumors newbie

slow internet here too

Having the same slow internet problem since 4.2 update. Macbook Pro & Windows computers still fast. Looking for solutions/workarounds.

3. pcunite macrumors member

I'm using the iPad 16GB Wifi only, using Atomic Web Browser and I have not noticed any issues yet.

4. LNYMRKO thread starter macrumors regular

So I installed Atomic Web Browser, and this seems to be a viable workaround for me, until the issue is fixed.

Atomic is snappy, responsive, and web browsing is back to normal again. Even watching youtube videos through it is great - The youtube native app has been basically unusable since the 4.2 update. Atomic also has some really nice features that Safari is lacking.

Is there anyway to change the default web browser on iPads to something other than Safari? (Without jail-breaking)

5. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I don't know if this would work on the iPad, but this worked extremely well on my iPhone for which watching ANY type of Youtube video over wifi was impossible. 3G worked fine.

Go to your Wifi networks.
    Click on the blue arrow of the wifi network you use.
    Change the DNS server to 208.67.222.222
    I used this on my Sisters iPhone as well and now hers works much better as well.
    Worth a try I guess.