Slow Wifi downloads from iTunes and App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ielessar, Sep 30, 2015.

1. ielessar, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

ielessar macrumors regular

Hi,

Now for almost 2 weeks, I've been experiencing very, very slow downloads from iTunes Store and the App Store when I'm on Wifi, even though I have a relatively fast connection of 24mbps. Now this Applies to all of my Apple devices:

iPhone 6 Plus on 9.0.2
    iPhone 6 on 8.4
    iPad Air 2 on iOS 9.1b
    Apple TV streaming movies.
    Macbook Pro (downloading from the Mac App Store)

Everything was fine until around 2 weeks ago. When I'm on LTE everything downloads fine. Surprisingly, when I change my DNS on any of these devices, speeds get back to normal. But when I'm on default DNS settings on Wifi, I can't download anything. No updates, music, movie streaming on Apple TV, you name it. A 10mb app update can take up to an hour.

I tried resetting my router, and all of my devices but with no luck. Any solutions?

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

If changing your DNS causes the issue use another DNS source other than your ISP.

Set your router to either:
    That one above is Google's public DNS servers

Or go to OpenDNS and setup a free home account, and use their servers. I like OpenDNS as I have kids so I can filter some traffic out, but also if I update a domain I own (or our company does when testing external changes) you can have their system scan again and start picking up on the change quickly.

I'm not sure why DNS would change the download speed since once resolved it would be in the ISP's hands on the path to the destination, but whatever... can't hurt.

3. ielessar thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried Google DNS servers, but speeds are still slow. Currently I'm using:
    • Norton ConnectSafe – 199.85.126.10, 199.85.127.10
    But this is not a solution, everything should be running fine without changing any settings. My question is, why are downloads from Apple only affected?

4. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Could be a bad hop to their destination, or maybe one DNS provider is going to one destination and another to another due to their multi-data center configuration, and you're getting a bad path with your ISP, and a good path with the other?

With cloud based destinations you could be hitting different destinations, and one could be impacted by a faulty / latent hop.

5. ielessar thread starter macrumors regular

It really sucks. I've tried everything from my end, so I'll have to call the ISP and see what they got.